Gordon transfers to IU for final season

Rumored for nearly a week to be following in his brother's footsteps, former Arizona State guard Evan Gordon announced via Twitter Wednesday morning his intentions to transfer to IU for his final season of eligibility.

"I have decided to become a Hoosier this coming season," Gordon tweeted shortly after news of his decision began to trickle onto social media.

As a graduate student planning to study in IU's Sports Administration program, Gordon will be eligible to play next season.

“We are excited to have Evan Gordon join our University and our program," IU Coach Tom Crean said. "Evan has been a productive and proven player throughout his college career.  He can score, he makes his teammates better and is a clutch player.  Defensively, his physical strength and speed have helped him be a strong individual and team defender. Evan will bring leadership, a work ethic and seriousness that will help make our program better.”

He is the younger brother of former Hoosier and current New Orleans Pelican Eric Gordon Jr. IU is also recruiting a third brother, Eron Gordon, a freshman at North Central High School in Indianapolis who already boasts offers from IU, Purdue, ASU and Nebraska. Their father, Eric Gordon Sr., played at Liberty.

Eron Gordon took part this past weekend in the adidas May Classic in Bloomington. Evan Gordon was in attendance while also visiting IU that weekend. He visited Butler Monday and Tuesday before making his decision.

IU will be the third college Gordon will suit up for. He played two seasons at Liberty, leading the Flames in scoring as a sophomore with 14.4 points, before transferring to ASU and sitting out a season. In his lone season, he averaged 10.1 points and saw field goal percentages increase both overall and from 3-point range.

Listed at 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds by ASU, Gordon is expected to provide another experienced ballhandler to pair with rising sophomore guard Kevin "Yogi" Ferrell and help assuage the loss of four guards from last season's roster.

IU had an open scholarship following the transfer of guard Maurice Creek. In all, seven scholarship players from this past season's IU team are gone.

Eric Gordon Jr. also took to Twitter not long after his brother's announcement.

"Congrats to my bro @EvanGordon10 for making a tough decision for his final year. Hoosier nation show him some love! #iubb"