arts iu auditorium performances

Songwriter Willie Nelson to perform

Willie Nelson CAROUSEL

Country music singer-songwriter Willie Nelson returns to the IU Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Fellow singer-songwriter Pegi Young and her band, the Survivors, will open for Nelson.

With a career that spans more than 60 years, Nelson has released more than 200 albums and won 37 music industry awards, seven of which are Grammys.

Nelson’s performance Saturday night will feature fan favorites as well as new music from his album “Let’s Face the Music and Dance,” played alongside his touring and recording group, the Family. The album is scheduled to be released April 16.

Maria Talbert, associate director of the IU Auditorium, said the venue has been working with Nelson’s concert promoter, New Covenant Productions, since summer 2012 to bring Nelson to Bloomington.

“We were thrilled that we were able to find a date that would work,” Talbert said. “Willie Nelson is a legendary performer who we were certain our audience would love to see again on our stage.”

After performances at the IU Auditorium in 2001 and 2004, Talbert said Nelson’s reputation among the Bloomington community will draw a sizable turnout.

“The combined talent on the stage on Saturday will truly make for an unforgettable, nostalgic and inspiring evening of incredible music,” she said.

Talbert said Nelson is a true talent whose music has withstood the test of time, and that alone should allow for an enjoyable evening of entertainment for all.

“In addition to his incredible talent for writing and performing music that has spanned across generations starting in the ’60s, I believe people really embrace the multifaceted life he has led as not only a musician but also as an author, poet, actor and activist,” she said. “He is truly a living legend.”

As of April 4, tickets are still available through the IU Auditorium, and prices start at $39. Tickets can be purchased online or at the box office.

— Carolyn Crowcroft