Little Five has arrived

It’s here. The greatest week(end) in college has arrived after its annual 51-week break.
Soon, campus will be overrun with students from Purdue University who still try to talk up their lesser-known “Grand Prix.”

Throngs of students from Indiana State University will arrive in their cars, ready to pose as IU students to the unsuspecting. Lines at bars will be outrageous, and by mid-week, all of your classes that don’t feature quizzes, exams or presentations will be mostly empty.

For a week this crazy, it’s difficult to put a limitation on fashion. The warmer weather, paired with pride for your cycling team, forms an anything-goes attitude for the next 10 days. While I agree Little 500 does suspend many of the usually followed fashion rules, there are a few that should still be observed, both for your safety and others.

I’ve talked about heels before, but they deserve another quick acknowledgement. This week is not about pacing oneself and taking it slow, so make sure your shoes match your partying.

Unless you’ll be drinking a maximum of two beverages, heels are not in your plan for the night. Throw on flats, gladiator sandals or even those dirty Converse shoes from freshman year, because the floor of a college bar is no place for your favorite shoes.

Sizing is key. For jerseys, tanks and tees most students take the “bigger is better” approach. If you prefer to wear something more close-cut, make sure it’s fitted, not fattening.

Wearing anything too small instantly puts your body in a negative viewpoint. Guys, this includes you and those of you who wear shorts more appropriate for the court of a 1970s NBA game.

Finally, neon can be your friend. Although the sun has stopped being rude and is finally setting at a respectable time, it still gets dark while you’re out and about. That neon reflective vest you’ve been waiting to wear since last year just may save your life.

Enjoy your week Hoosiers, because if you’re a senior, this is it. Have no regrets. If you’re debating going to class or drinking, you already know which choice to make.
The only difficult decisions you’ll be deciding are when to start and vodka or tequila?

Stay safe and Hoosier on.

­— johnsbri@indiana.edu