Hooray for chambray

Mother Nature has once again turned on us.

Despite last week’s temperatures climbing into the 70s, Bloomington will be lucky if the weather climbs into the 60s.

Is anyone else not surprised the weather would be great the week before Little Five and then fall off right before the weekend arrives?

The chilly atmosphere may require warmer alternatives while attending this weekend’s many social functions.

Who’s your new best friend? Chambray.

Chambray is denim’s cooler and thinner younger brother. A great layering alternative to bulky sweaters from winter and pesky jackets, chambray is a neutral material that can be worn with a myriad of bottoms: khakis, colored jeans, regular denim and maxi skirts among them.

Many fashion-forward retail chains offer pricey options of this shirt beginning at $30 and trending upward. Cheaper options can be found at Goodwill and Salvation Army in the men’s dress shirt section. With the money you save from the initial purchase, you can afford to have the item tailored to fit your body type even better.

While this fabric is fairly simple to pull off, please don’t forget that lightweight items require a date with the iron before you head out on yours. Few things ruin a great outfit like a bad case of the wrinkles. Be noticed for how well you’re dressed and not how poorly you ironed. Think of chambray and starch as one — without the other, it’s just not the same.

For any occasion out and around Bloomington this weekend, a chambray button down can offer an extra layer of protection and style. On a sun dress, topping a jersey or paired with khakis for the bars, this shirt is a one-stop shop for planning an outfit. The fabric has become so popular that it is now being made in a variety of silhouettes: dresses, skirts, pants and T-shirts.

As the last two weeks of classes begin to wind down, ramp up your style. Warm weather is a great time to show off your personality through a crisp shirt and your favorite sandals. Remember, fashion is a way to reveal your personality without talking.

Here’s wishing you a happy weekend and a forgotten sweater.

­— johnsbri@indiana.edu