SB13: Getting out of town?

Weekend Carousel

You’re getting out of here, you lucky ducks. Here are a few checklists to fill before you go.

The international traveler

1. Your passport

This may seem obvious, but one of you out there is going to forget yours. Don’t let it be you.

2. Acceptable clothes for the culture

No, not every country is OK with denim cutoffs and spaghetti straps. Do your research.

3. Walking shoes 

Pro tip: Many countries are full of Converse-wearing locals. Dig into your old sixth grade clothes and pull out your beat up Chucks to look like a true European. Stick with low tops.

4. Camera

Show your Facebook friends how worldly you are.

5. Journals

Even if you’re not a writer, just jot down notes about your day. One day, you’ll happily look back at all the funny thoughts that passed through your head.

6. Travel plug adapter

Look for one that also converts energy or risk blowing up your hairdryer.

7. Cash

Bring debit cards as well, but make sure they’re accepted. Warn your bank if you’ll be making any foreign transactions, or prepare to have your account frozen.

8. A map

No one wants to look like a tourist, but better to be the one holding a map than the one panicking and crying.

9. Medicine and small first aid kit

There’s nothing like good old Ibuprofen for the morning after drinking too much French wine.

10. Anything to “protect” you

There’s no need to go into detail here, you dirty college kids.

The party beach breaker

1. At least two forms of ID

Have at least your driver’s license and your school ID, and maybe even your passport. Don’t be that person who left their identification at home.

2. A jacket or sweatshirt

Even warm places get cold snaps. Don’t get caught in one with only a bikini and a sarong to your name.

3. Your checkbook

Stuff gets stolen or lost on spring break. Don’t be stuck completely without money. Stash your checkbook somewhere safe, just in case.

4. Aloe vera gel

You’re probably winter-pale, and you’ll probably stay in the sun (glorious, glorious sun) for a little too long that first day or two. Bring aloe for your burns.

5. Ibuprofen

Bring your pain reliever of choice. We may not endorse it, but we realize there will be many, many hangovers next week.

6. A reusable water bottle

Try to drink at least one bottle of water for every alcoholic beverage you have. We don’t want you to end up dehydrated and in the hospital.

7. Body lotion and facial moisturizer

You’re going to get dried out on the beach every day.  We’re talking real lotion, folks. Bring facial moisturizer with at least SPF 30.

8. At least one nice outfit

It could turn out that the hottest new restaurant requires nicer dress. Or you might meet someone you want to look nice for. Pack more than junky shorts and tank tops.

9. A disposable camera

There’s nothing like taking photos on the fly and giggling at them a few weeks after break when you’ve finally gotten around to developing them. Instant memories.

10. A boombox or speaker

Make some CDs for your old boombox or bring an iPod player — most will take batteries. You can’t be sure your hotel will have a sound system, so it’s good to have a backup. Party on the beach!