Lecture at The Venue Fine Arts and Gifts by Dr. Herzig

Women have always had a place in jazz, but their presence hasn’t always been as apparent as their celebrated male counterparts.

Monika Herzig, SPEA arts management professor and jazz pianist, said she is hoping to give some of these ladies the recognition they deserve with her lecture this afternoon about the history of women in jazz.

The lecture and accompanying performances by Herzig are at 5:30 p.m. at The Venue, Fine Arts & Gifts.

“In society, genders are half and half, so music, which is an expression of society, should be equal as well,” Herzig said. “Especially with jazz and improvisation, it is important to have female expression you can identify with. If jazz musicians are only male, that serves as a representation of society, but it’s not. Everyone should have their voice.”

Herzig said historically, there have been factors that have kept women from pursuing jazz.

“Traditionally, there has been little involvement in jazz music by women,” Herzig said. “This is because the clubs and red light districts where jazz was performed was not where you’d hang out as a lady, so jazz was a difficult profession to pursue as a woman.”

Regardless, the passion for jazz has been with women, as well.
Many people know Scott Joplin’s  famous “Maple Leaf Rag,” but Indianapolis had its own ragtime composer May Auferheide, considered to be one of the most famous female ragtime composers.

Or consider Mary Lou Williams, who was the wife of Louis Armstrong and wrote arrangements for band leaders such as Benny Goodman and Duke
Ellington.

“Hopefully everyone who attends will get to learn more about these ladies, as well as learn that there is quite a bit of history to acknowledge,” Herzig said.
The lecture is part of The Venue’s annual Women’s History Month events, which have previously included women-only art shows and poetry readings.

“What’s unique about our gallery is that it is owned by me and my son Gabe,” Venue gallery assistant David Colman said. “Since it’s just us, it’s important that we’re sensitive to women’s issues.”

The Venue will also feature an evening of female poetry with accompanying Jacobs School of Music performers March 29.

Herzig will continue to champion for women in jazz March 28 at Bear’s Place as she plays with an all-female cast.

“In jazz, the women are there, but it takes some digging,” Herzig said. “I want to give them credit.”