Where Tom Crean's early players and commits are now

spMBB

Easily forgotten in the wake of IU’s basketball success the past two seasons are a handful of players who were Hoosiers on Tom Crean’s early IU teams.

Four players who once suited up for IU since Crean came to town are now playing elsewhere, while another four are one-time IU commits who never hit Branch McCracken Court in cream and crimson. So what has become of this group of one-time and almost-Hoosiers?

Their stories cover a wide range, from mid-major stardom to ineligibility to irrelevance.

Former Hoosiers

Malik Story
Guard
Class of 2008

While at IU

The seventh and final addition to IU Coach Tom Crean’s first recruiting class at IU, Story averaged 5.9 points per game in his lone season at IU, posting a season-high 14 points against Gonzaga.

Where is he now?

Citing a desire to be closer to home, the 6-foot-5 California native transferred to Nevada. After sitting out a season per NCAA transfer rules, Story has thrived with the Wolf Pack. He has started every game in his three seasons there, placing either first or second on the Pack in scoring each year. This season, he is averaging a career-best 15.7 points per contest and has a free throw percentage nearly .200 higher than he did at IU.

Bobby Capobianco

Forward
Class of 2009

While at IU

Lauded for his physicality by Crean before coming to IU, Capobianco struggled to find a spot in IU’s rotation, his playing time decreasing in his second season.

Where is he now?

Capobianco stayed in-state, transferring to Valparaiso. After his transfer season, he is now listed at 6-foot-10 and 245 pounds, an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than his IU measurements. Still not a regular starter, Capobianco is nonetheless the Crusaders’ third leading rebounder as a key reserve.

Bawa Muniru

Center
Class of 2009

While at IU
A fan favorite despite miniscule playing time in a single season for the Hoosiers, the fan chants of “Ba-wa” likely outnumbered his 11-point scoring total.

Where is he now?
The near 7-footer — different sources list him at 6-foot-11 and 7 feet — Muniru transferred to Tennessee State and sat out a season, then played sparingly once eligible, scoring seven points all season. A new head coach for the Tigers did not renew his scholarship, and Muniru is now at NAIA Division 1-AA Lee University, where he averages 2.3 points as a backup.

Nick Williams

Guard
Class of 2008

While at IU

Like Story, Williams played one season for the Hoosiers. He started 29 games, averaged 8.9 points and placed second on the squad in steals and, even as a guard, was third on the team with 4.5 rebounds.

Where is he now?

With his playing time at risk for the next season, Williams followed Story’s lead and transferred less than three weeks later. Also moving closer to home, he is now a senior at Ole Miss. He started the majority of the Rebels’ games as a sophomore and junior but has struggled this year with a limiting foot injury. He averages 9.4 points per contest, down from the 10.1 he averaged last season, and has seen his rebounds decrease each year.

Former IU commits

David Williams
Forward
Class of 2010
Committed to IU April 22, 2009

What happened instead?
Largely an unknown when he committed to IU, the 6-foot-6 Williams never made it to IU, decommitting that November and eventually pledging to UNC-Greensboro just less than a year after his initial commitment. Only a 2-star recruit, the Jacksonville, Fla., native’s offer was thought to largely be the result of  his relationship with former IU Assistant Coach Roshown McLeod. With the Spartans, Williams has started every game he’s played since last season, currently averaging 5 points, 4.6 rebounds and a team-leading 1.8 steals this year.

Guy-Marc Michel

Center
Class of 2010 (Junior College)
Committed to IU May 10, 2010

What happened instead?
Michel came the closest of any of these commits to playing for IU. He actually did don the candy stripes and play in IU’s 2010 exhibition season. That would be as close as he got, though, as a subsequent NCAA investigation rendered the 7-footer ineligible for the remainder of college. Michel instead played two seasons with a Greek professional team before going undrafted in the 2012 NBA Draft.

Matt Carlino

Guard
Class of 2010-11
Committed to IU Aug. 23, 2008

What happened instead?
Originally a member of the class of 2011 attending high school in Scottsdale, Ariz., Carlino committed to IU, then transferred to Bloomington High School South. While a junior there, Carlino decommitted from IU, reclassified to the 2010 class and committed to UCLA. Carlino never played for the Bruins, transferring to BYU before ever suiting up. Because he never played in the 2010-11 season, he did not have to sit out an additional year at BYU. Finally playing for the Cougars last season, he averaged 12.2 points before his scoring dropped to 11.3 this season as a result of lower 3-point and free throw percentages.

Ron Patterson

Guard
Class of 2012-13
Committed to IU Aug. 15, 2010

What happened instead?
The newest member of this list, Patterson’s college career technically has yet to begin. The 6-foot-3 guard was IU’s second 2012 commitment and is largely credited with coining the phrase “The Movement” for that group. He was in Bloomington for summer school this summer but failed to make the grades needed to stay eligible. He chose to go the prep school route, winding up at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire and reclassifying to the 2013 class. Never truly an option for IU’s 2013 group, Patterson committed on Nov. 5 to play for Syracuse.