Oladipo named Big Ten Player of the Week

Even though he played only one game in the past week, junior guard Victor Oladipo was named Big Ten Player of the Week this morning.

It was his second such honor of the season, having also won the award Jan. 28.
Playing with a sprained ankle Feb. 19 on the road against then-No. 4 Michigan State, Oladipo scored 19 points, including IU’s final six, to clinch the 72-68 win and give the Hoosiers sole possession of first place in the Big Ten.

“Victor Oladipo wasn’t close to 100 percent tonight,” IU Coach Tom Crean said after the win. “He wasn’t close. The way he played was excellent, but the way he finished, when he was winded, there’s no doubt that his foot hurt. He may tell you differently, but I’ve been around him a long time. I know when he’s right and I know when he’s not right. I know that that mind was right, and that’s the biggest thing.”

In the process of putting IU ahead of the Spartans for good, Oladipo scored his 1000th point as a Hoosier.

His contributions extended across the board, though, as he also had nine rebounds and five blocks. Both led the team.

In the weekly Big Ten coaches’ teleconference Monday morning, Crean said Oladipo’s ankle, originally injured against Purdue, is in better shape now than it was against MSU.

“It’s a lot better than it was,” Crean said. “We’ll have to see where he’s at tomorrow night.”

With the weekly honor for Oladipo, IU now has four on the season. Sophomore forward Cody Zeller has won it twice as well.

— Max McCombs