Saturday, July 27

No. 1 Indiana 83, Purdue 55

IUBB v. Purdue Carousel

Will Sheehey set a new career high with 22 points and set and new school mark for consecutive field goals with his 9-for-9 shooting as IU rolled to a season sweep against archival Purdue with a 83-55 win in Assembly Hall.

With 16 second-half points in place of injured teammate Victor Oladipo, Sheehey helped IU quickly take the game out of reach for Purdue. However, it was another Hoosier forward who got the rout started.

Senior forward Christian Watford, who has made hot starts a habit this Big Ten season, scored IU's first 8 points Saturday, staking a quick 8-2 lead for IU. Watford leads IU with 13 points.

A subsequent 3-pointer by D.J. Byrd drew the Boilermakers as close as they would come in the game at 8-5.

After junior guard Victor Oladipo added a free throw, senior guard Jordan Hulls hit the first of three 3-pointers that helped quickly and consistently inflate the IU lead.

IU has 17 points off turnovers at the half, as multiple players were on the finishing end of IU fast breaks and Purdue was forced to play at IU's pace.

In one instance, sophomore forward Cody Zeller was so far past anyone else after receiving a Hulls pass that no player from either team bothered to chase. He finished with a dunk that brought the crowd to its feet.

The IU lead reached as many as 19 points-- 33-14 with 7:06 left-- before Purdue scored seven straight points on its way to a 13-4 run.

While Purdue's A.J. Hammons broke out for 30 points in the teams' first meeting this season, he was held scoreless in the first half after accumulating two fouls with physical defense throughout. Still, the fouls kept him on the bench for more than half the period.

With less than a minute to go, Oladipo appeared to sustain an ankle injury under the Purdue basket. With the crowd chanting his name, he went into the locker room, walking under his own power.

He did not emerge from the locker room with the rest of his team as the second half began, and junior forward Will Sheehey took his place in the lineup.

The fate of their teammate seemed to weigh on the Hoosiers' minds, as the second stanza opened with the teams trading baskets and IU lacking the ferocity that built the first half lead.

Oladipo walked out by himself several minutes into the half and took to the stationary bike, again to the roar of the crowd.

His return to the arena coincided with another IU run, the team boosting the lead back to its first half high of 19, then well beyond that.

While Hammons had finally come to life for Purdue, scoring six points virtually unchallenged, the sight of their teammate had all five of IU's men on the floor out of the their sluggish start to their half.

No one seemed more energized by Oladipo's return than the man who replaced him. On both short layups and long 3-pointers, Sheehey found himself open on possession after possession and capitalized each time.

With Zeller joining in the scoring spree, the game was getting out of hand. Purdue Coach Matt Painter with a dejected expression on his face knew it. He did not even bother rising from his seat for much of the second half.

IU coaches knew it too. Oladipo, who appeared healthy on the sideline as he vigorously cheered on his teammates, never had to re-enter the game. Sheehey and the starters left the game with several minutes still to play. As Purdue cut the lead to the final margin, it was against a team of reserves and walkons.