sports women's basketball

Muensterman becomes second 2014 IUWBB commit

Mater Dei High School (Evansville, Ind.) forward Maura Muensterman has verbally committed to play for Curt Miller and the IU women’s basketball program, according to a tweet from fellow 2014 commit Tyra Buss.

“So excited that @MauraMuenste will be joining me at IU!!? Love you soo much and pumped we will be playing together!#teammates#GoHoosiers," Buss said via her twitter account, @tbuss3.

A 6-foot-0-inch forward, Muensterman leads the Wildcats with 24.8 points and 8.4 assists per game, according to varvee.com. She shoots nearly 56 percent (48-of-86) from beyond the arc.

Muensterman missed seven games with an unknown injury from Jan. 8 to Jan. 23. She returned Jan. 24 and led her team to a 70-47 win over New Castle with 19 points, five rebounds and eight assists.

ESPN.com recruiting services wrote the following about Muensterman:

“This versatile, hybrid forward from Evansville, Ind., has a developing skill set. At 6-feet tall, she can knock down the perimeter jumper and play effectively in the post when needed. This past weekend, her versatility was on full display as she played positions one through four and managed to play all of them well. It will be important for Muensterman to continue to develop her perimeter game and become a more consistent 3-point shooter. With her size, the ability to stretch a defense and force teams to guard her beyond 19 feet will be a major asset to her future college of choice.”

Buss verbally committed to IU in November. She became the fastest player in Illinois’ girl’s basketball history to score 3,000 points on Jan. 18 and sits in seventh on the Illinois all-time scoring list.

— Joe Popely