J. Cole's mixtape proves he's worth the wait

J Cole

J Cole was billed as the rebirth of hip-hop for this generation, and though it’s still early, he has already lived up to the enormous hype. It’s been almost two years since his critically and commercially acclaimed debut album, “Cole World,” and the wait has been tough for hip-hop fans. Even if he never releases another album, his distinct style and flow added a sound to the game that hadn’t been heard from a newcomer in a long time. It’s a nostalgic sound. Not exactly new, but it’s a breath of fresh air in an industry that often feels stifled by the same old flows and puns.

J Cole is both popular and respected because his appeal is mainstream, but his vibe is underground. That’s why there is always such loud buzz surrounding his new projects. His new album was slated to drop Jan. 28, but he delayed it, telling his fans in an open letter on his website, “I appreciate you giving me the time I needed to grow, experiment and find the direction for my 2nd album.” It was disappointing to music fans, but if they can wait 10 years for Jay Electronica to even cough on a microphone, they will survive this slight delay from J Cole.

The anticipation is understandable, though. His style is rare in the modern industry, so once hip-hop lovers get a little taste, they started clamoring for more. And he is the only dealer they can go to for the special blend. He recognized this and offered a little crack rock to his fans this past week in the form of a free EP, “Truly Yours.”

“Tonight, I want to give you a few of these songs because you deserve them,” he said in a message to fans. “Vibe out to these songs in their raw form, no polish. Just a lot of my soul.”

Polished or not, the pure quality and realness in the tracks makes you want to overdose on them from the moment the EP opens with Lauryn Hill’s Zion instrumental. He tells his own stories and also authors the stories of others who don’t have a platform. A perfect example of this is his track “Crunch Time,” which discusses the realities of “the hustle.” It’s a topic that is often glamorized and exaggerated in gangster movies and rap songs, but he breaks down the day-to-day struggle and gives a song with feeling that real people can relate to.

The entire EP is like a collection of short stories and hand-written letters. He has the chance to deliver an important narrative that maybe wouldn’t work within the confines of a studio album.

This project speaks to the unique style of art he produces, the special thing that isn’t quite definable, the thing that makes people believe he is the renaissance of hip-hop for a generation.