politics

Indiana to keep Sunday liquor sales ban

Indiana residents will not be able to buy carry-out liquor on Sundays any time soon.

House Public Policy Chairman Rep. Bill Davis, R-Portland, decided not to allow the House Public Policy Committee to vote on House Bill 1146. The bill would allow Sunday carry-out alcohol sales in convenience, drug, grocery and liquor stores.

Indiana is currently the only state that prohibits the sale of alcohol on Sundays.

The committee considered the topic at a hearing last week. However, Davis, as the chairman, had the authority to decide whether a vote would be allowed on the topic.

Since Davis decided against a vote, the bill is dead at least until the next session of the House of Representatives convenes next year.

Matt Colglazier, media and promotions director for Bloomington-based Big Red Liquors, said keeping the alcohol sale policy the same allows for smaller, family businesses to stay in business.

“We don’t necessarily look at it as a benefit,” Colglazier said. “Keeping the rules as they are is the best benefit for the community.”

Colglazier said allowing Sunday sales would bring fewer options for consumers and give all the business to grocery stores.

“The packaged retailers are really the best at bringing new products, craft beer to their stores,” Colglazier said. “If you go to the big box grocery stores, there are a much narrower number of items they carry.”

Colglazier said if the bill were brought toward a committee at a further time, Big Red would have to explore its options and make a decision at that time.

John Elliott, public affairs manager for the central division of Kroger, said Kroger will keep pushing for Sunday sales.

Elliott said an overwhelming number of retail customers expect they would be allowed to buy alcohol on Sunday, because it is the second busiest shopping day.

He also said allowing alcohol sales on Sunday is clearly a safety issue.

“We think the safer option of consuming alcohol at home and not driving the preferable public policy,” Elliott said. “We will continue to try year after year until we are successful.”

— Matt Stefanski