Award shows provide opportunity to critique celebrity fashion

I’m a self-proclaimed magazine hoarder — I subscribe to a dozen titles and rarely throw any out.

Not only do I spend an inordinate amount of time educating myself about fashion, but I actively avoid a slew of popular titles, including celebrity magazines.

I’d rather read about a fashion taste-maker such as Miroslava Duma, Stephanie LaCava or Cara Delevigne  than a bonafide “celebrity” any day.

This all changes as the next “awards season” kicks into high gear. Not only do I sit on the edge of my seat waiting to see what Marion Cotillard is wearing, but I take in each juicy red carpet interview like my life depends on it.

Despite the well-deserved awards and inspiring speeches, the fashion is always the best part.

However, at the Golden Globes, few of the dresses were particularly memorable. There was Amanda Seyfried’s ethereal lace Givenchy Haute Couture confection, which only she could inject with the subtlest sex appeal. There was Marion Cotillard’s fiery, asymmetrical Dior dress with orange shoes to match. There was Jessica Alba’s gorgeous, if somewhat predictable, clementine Oscar de la Renta gown.

There was also my personal favorite, Sienna Miller’s two-piece embellished Erdem column, which she expertly styled with a low bun and multiple earrings on one side.

While these looks were show-stopping, the abundance of predictable and disappointing outfits somewhat dulled their impact.  Lena Dunham’s deep aubergine Zac Posen gown looked stiff and conventional, two things Dunham is not. Her inability to walk in sky-high Christian Louboutin heels only exacerbated the situation.

Jessica Chastain looked stunning, but her mint green Calvin Klein gown had a perplexing droopiness to it that distracted from what could have been perfection.

The red carpet at the SAG Awards was a vast improvement. Not only were the gowns much less predictable than those of the Globes, but my recurring favorites — Seyfried, Lawrence, Kidman — continued to impress me.

On the other end of the spectrum, Claire Danes embraced the 1990s goth revival with a black one-shouldered custom Givenchy dress and matte burgundy lips.

Kerry Washington, one of my personal red-carpet favorites, maintained her characteristic edge with a white bustier-style Rodarte gown, and Sigourney Weaver’s decision to wear her Lanvin gown backwards was a pleasant surprise.

What does all this mean? Seeing as how the Academy Awards are a mere 24 days away, these fashion moments — and missteps — will probably be long forgotten once the lenses turn toward the awards show to end all awards shows. I know I’ll be tuning in.

­— emfarra@indiana.edu