The Broderick band to show growth

ent Broderick Carousel

The Broderick is set to charm at 9:30 p.m. today at The Bishop Bar.

Lead singer Max Mullen woos listeners with his steady voice and simple but catchy melodies, while the guitar and bass chug along in the background of The Broderick’s songs, giving its music a feeling of alternative rock with a twist.

Even the band members have a hard time describing it to their listeners.

“Our sound is something that we often have a hard time describing,” Mullen said. “In no way because we think it is over anyone’s head, but rather because it varies somewhat. But that is something we pride ourselves on.”

Dan Coleman, a talent buyer for the Bishop, has watched the band grow musically over the years.

“Their sound is just pure American rock,” Coleman said. “They don’t cater to trends. They just play rock and play it well, which is a lost art these days.”

The group got its start in Vincennes, Ind., but has since evolved after spending time in Bloomington after teaming up with Eric Day, the group’s bassist.

Members draw from a plethora of musical genres, which helped them form their sound, Mullen said.

“We all listen to a wide variety of music,” Mullen said. “We like rock bands, bands that have a lot of energy and emotion. They don’t have to be blatant in their use of those, but it’s always nice to see. We’re fans of Josh Ritter, and he puts on a great show, same with MMJ and Dr. Dog. Also older greats like Harry Nilsson, John Prine and Bob Dylan.”

The Broderick’s music mirrors that of its influences, notably with the band members’ efforts to keep it genuine and simple yet full of emotion.

The band’s guitars, bass parts and drums are almost overwhelmingly powerful on some tracks, such as “Wild and Crazy.”

Other songs are less energetic but equally sincere.

The Broderick has flourished in Bloomington.

They grew after nearly selling out its CD release show at The Bishop this fall, Coleman said.

“I think new music in Bloomington is always accepted and appreciated,” Mullen said.
“With so many great venues in town and an unknown amount of awesome house show venues, there is never a lack of music to create or take in. And that is a very rare thing.”