Men's tennis to face No. 9 Kentucky, Wright State

Then-sophomore Josh MacTaggart returns a shot from Kentucky's Alex Musialek on Jan. 25, 2011, at the IU Indoor Tennis Center. Although MacTaggart beat Musialek 2 sets to 1, the IU men's tennis team has not beaten the Wildcats since 2008, and have lost three straight in the series.

The No. 22 Hoosiers will have their first home tennis match at 1 p.m. today in the Indoor Tennis Center against No. 9 Kentucky.

IU will be looking to bounce back from its 4-3 loss to No. 40 North Carolina State earlier this week.

However, Kentucky will look to keep its momentum going after dominating Northern Kentucky and Morehead State during the weekend.

The Wildcats have a doubles duo in Tom Jomby and Kevin Lai, currently ranked No. 35, that may give the Hoosiers some trouble.

The Wildcats also have No. 94 Anthony Rossi in the singles competition, who helped Kentucky breeze past its competition during the weekend.

The Hoosiers faced Kentucky last year and lost 7-0 in the regular season. Their season ended in the second round of the NCAA Tournament with a 4-0 loss to Kentucky.

Indiana will be looking to turn the tables against the Wildcats and squeeze out a win on its home turf.

Kentucky is not the only team the Hoosiers have to be concerned with today, as they will play the Wright State Raiders at 6 p.m.  

Wright State is coming off a victory against Duquesne 4-3 in its home season opener over the weekend. The Raiders are currently 1-1 and will be looking to improve their .500 record against the Hoosiers.

Wright State is ranked lower than Kentucky, but both teams will be looking to get a win against the No. 22 Hoosiers.

Frank Bonner

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.