IU leading in Capital One Cup standings

After winning the NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer Championship, IU’s men are currently in first place in the Capital One Cup standings.

The award is given annually to the country’s top men and women’s Division I college athletic programs, according to capitalonecup.com. As of now, IU is tied with Alabama and North Dakota State for first place in with 60 points.

According to Fred Glass, vice president and director of intercollegiate athletics since 2009, this accomplishment is a positive sign for Hoosier athletics.

“I think the investment we’ve been making in our academic centers, facilities and effort in retaining great coaches is starting to pay off,” Glass said.

In the time Glass has been athletic director, the Hoosiers have gone from having two teams finish within the top 15 in the nation to nine last year.

Perhaps one of the biggest achievements of the year came in December, when the men’s soccer team won the 2012 NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer Championship. The team, led by Coach Todd Yeagley, defeated Georgetown 1-0 to secure the eighth national title in school history.

“This award is known nationwide and is a great measure of how our athletic department is competing,” Yeagley said. “It shows that our sports are healthy and doing well here.”

Glass said the battle is only halfway fought. He noted it is still looking positive, especially with the rise of other Hoosier sports teams.

“We’re really optimistic about our baseball team,” Glass said. “They’ve been ranked by a number of media outlets as the preseason favorite for the Big Ten.” 

Glass said other teams such as golf, tennis and outdoor track, which is currently nationally ranked, have a positive season outlook, too.

Glass said IU will need to continue finishing strong in every sport in order to secure the top spot.

“Being number one halfway through is promising and a good indication, but, until the full year goes through, it won’t be final,” Glass said. “There are a number of opportunities left for us to keep scoring points.”