1 international student's perspective

Alvin Tan

IU’s Singapore Student Association President Alvin Tan

Where are you from?
Singapore

What year are you?
Senior

What are you majoring in?
Economic consulting and public policy

Why did you choose IU?
When you study public policy, the United States is the place to be, and IU fit the profile. And I wanted something different. I come from a bustling city. It’s a slower pace and less of a distraction.

How safe do you feel in Bloomington?
I feel quite safe, but I take the basic precaution of not going out alone at night in some off-campus areas.

What resources have you found useful in terms of looking for housing?
The best input is from seniors, the people who came here before. There is scant information online, but it provides a good overview.

What challenges do international students face in terms of looking for housing?
One of the biggest concerns for international students is information. They don’t get the on-campus housing they desire because their applications are processed later.

Also, international students should be able to stay in their on-campus rooms during breaks. They pay a lot in fees and shouldn’t be relocated to contrived living spaces.

Knowing what you do now, what would you have done differently before you moved here?
I was pretty lucky as a freshman. I wouldn’t have changed anything. I got a nice roommate, a nice environment, where the mix of international students and local students was 50-50.

What more can the University do to help international students be comfortable here?
The University should provide more online information about housing. Other students from Singapore and I are used to speaking English, so it’s easier for us. But other international students might need a lot more online information from the University.