politics

Rep. Welch keeps options open post-election

Rep. Peggy Welch, D-60th District, served 14 years in the Indiana General Assembly. That streak came to an end Nov. 6. Now, she is looking to the future as her political career ends.

The public had spoken, and it wanted Republican challenger Peggy Mayfield in Welch’s seat.

The seven-term state representative lost her reelection bid 59 percent to 41 percent.
She said she was disappointed about the prospects of not serving in the Statehouse again but was confident in knowing she did all she could to market herself to potential voters.

“I’m very sad because I loved serving in the legislature,” Welch said.

Welch will continue to serve as a practicing nurse at IU Health Bloomington Hospital, a job she said keeps her grounded.

“It’s like, ‘Get over yourself, Peggy,’” she said, putting her loss in perspective.

She said she’s not sure if she will run for political office again, as much of her future is still undetermined.

“I’m exploring different avenues,” she said. “I want to best use my policy experience and figure out how to best continue to serve.”

Welch devoted many of her resources to getting to know the people of Morgan County, a recent addition to the 60th District after congressional redistricting in 2011.

“It’s a county in which I had no name identification and in which people had no problem voting straight Republican ticket,” Welch said. 

She said she doesn’t hold judgment against the people of Morgan County. In fact, she said her campaign effort led her into the homes, businesses and local hangout spots of Hoosiers of whom she grew fond.

“I’m a diner girl,” Welch said. “You really get to know folks at their diners.”

Monroe County overwhelmingly supported Welch 63 percent to Mayfield’s 37 percent.
Morgan County, conversely, supported Mayfield 67 percent to 33 percent.

Monroe County Democratic Party Chair Rick Dietz said the splitting of Monroe County is a prime example of the 2010 redistricting.

“In fact, some of the worst examples of Republican gerrymandering are right here in Monroe County and Bloomington,” Dietz said. “There are five Indiana House districts that break up Monroe County, and, even more outrageously, there’s a single largely Democratic township that’s split into three Indiana House districts.”

The redistricting breaks up a more liberal-leaning Monroe County vote, Welch said.
“I hope the University community and all of Monroe County will make their voice heard to the five legislators,” Welch said. “They’re all good people, but there’s less of a connection to Monroe County.”