national

It's wicked not to care

While the hype about the upcoming election has been  fairly rampant these past few weeks, there are still those that are holding out.

I’m still walking throughout campus and hearing “Oh yeah, I didn’t watch the debates because they would just make me angry anyway,” “Ugh, I don’t think either candidate is going to change the world so whatever” or “Well, they never stick to their promises anyway.”

That’s ridiculous.

With all of the celebrity endorsements, movements like Rock the Vote and the heightened stakes in this election, it’s not trendy to not care. People who are lackadaisical and flippant gets us nowhere.

You’re not being cool or ironic by pointing out the candidates can’t change the world and won’t stick to their promises. The truth is whoever wins probably won’t be able to stick to all of his promises because a nation of highly discordant people stands in his way.

He’ll try his damndest and will most likely end up changing the nation. We have highly devoted candidates on the table that have shown they are willing to fight throughout this whole election process.

I know I’m just another voice in the masses telling you to go out and vote, but make an informed decision while you’re at it.

It may be difficult for a majority of youths who are voting for the first time to realize the impact this will make, but talk to older voters and you’ll feel the magnitude. Recently a close family friend told me that in her 65 years of life, she believes this to be the most important election she has seen. Take that to heart.

We are down to six days. While it’s late in the game, it’s also crunch time.  
You should at least Google some information. We’re privileged to be able to find out almost any information just by taking a moment to search online. Take advantage of this and do some cramming.

In a previous IDS column, I advocated that all of us will be drawn to different aspects of the platforms. Even if you don’t care about foreign policy, the candidates have radically different social policies. You may not care for social policies much, so look into the economic views. Words like “I don’t know,” “Whatever” and “I don’t care” need to be eliminated from the rhetoric because that time has long passed.

Choose your future and care.

­— sjostrow@indiana.edu