politics

Ind. politicians ranked for 2012 voting record, conservative allegiances

The American Conservative Union ranked Indiana state legislators for the first time during the 2012 legislative session.

Two local representatives, Matt Ubelhor, R-62nd District, and Bob Heaton, R-46th District, were ranked “ACU Conservatives.”

The ACU’s rankings are based on ‘yes’ or ‘no’ votes on 15 bills deemed critical by the organization.

According to the press release, “the ACU tracks a wide range of issues before state legislatures to determine which issues and votes serve as a clear litmus test separating those representatives who defend liberty and liberal members who have turned their backs on our founding principles — constitutionally limited government, individual liberty, free markets, a strong national defense and traditional
values.”

Rankings were provided for every member of the Senate and House of
Representatives.

“ACU Conservatives” scored more than 80 percent, while “Defenders of Liberty” were those ranked at 100 percent.

Those who scored zero percent were labeled “True Liberals of the Hoosier State,” including Bloomington resident Rep. Matt Pierce, D-61st District.

The ACU is an umbrella organization involved in lobbying and campaign finance through its political action group arm.

“For 40 years, ACU has set the gold standard for Congressional ratings, and we are now able to offer that same level of transparent information to the voters of the Hoosier State so they can hold their elected officials accountable at the state level as well,” ACU chairman Al Cardenas said in a press release.

Examples are HB 1210, which placed stipulations on abortions and abortion providers in the state, and HB 1001,the Indiana Right to Work law. Both were cosponsored by Heaton and Ubelhor.

The ACU also ranks members of the US House of Representatives and Senate.

Although 2012 Rankings are not available, six of Indiana’s nine representatives ranked above an 80 percent on the ACU’s “Life” conservative rating as of 2011.

Gov.-elect Mike Pence, representing Indiana’s 6th District, scored 98.91 percent. Rep. Todd Young, R-9th District, scored 88 percent. Marlin Stutzman, R-3rd District, scored 100 percent.

Sen.-elect Joe Donnelly, D-2nd District, had a 29.8 percent lifetime conservative rating.  
U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., had a 77.02 percent ranking, while U.S. Sen. Dan Coats scored a 90 percent ranking.

The legislature rankings expanded to 11 additional states this year.

According to the organization’s website, rankings began in battleground states and will expand to all 50 states as part of a five-year plan.

— Claire Wiseman