politics

The Last Word

Obama, Romney spar on issues of foreign policy

In their third and final debate Monday night, President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney discussed foreign policy.

The debate, which took place in Boca Raton, Fla., was moderated by Bob Schieffer of CBS News.

On many topics, such as drones, pulling out of Afghanistan by 2014 and supporting Israel, the candidates openly agreed with each other.

“I think the president did a pretty good job talking about issues that came up,” IU political science professor Jeff Hart said. “I think Romney wasn’t completely on his game tonight. I think the most remarkable thing was about how he agreed on the same issues.”

Hart said it seemed Romney was moving toward the middle of the liberal-conservative spectrum to attract voters in last night’s debate, and the topic of foreign policy allowed him to do so.

Hart said Romney owns the topic of restoring America, but the president had the upper hand on issues of foreign policy.

As for a winner, Hart said this debate won’t sway as many voters because people don’t care as much about foreign policy as the issues discussed in previous debates.

----

LIBYA

Conflict

The situation in Libya stems from the Arab Spring and the violent Libyan revolution that began in February 2011. Libyan president Muammar Gaddafi was killed. Since then, the UN has recognized the National Transitional Council as Libya’s governing authority. On Sept. 11, the U.S. ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, was murdered, along with three other Americans, by armed insurgents who broke into the U.S. embassy in Benghazi, Libya.

What happened in Benghazi, Libya, and was there a policy failure?

Obama: Obama said he did all he could regarding the Benghazi situation, putting focus on Libyan liberation. He said the Libyan people consider the U.S. a friend. He said military might is not enough, and he wants other countries to support United States anti-terrorism efforts and help protect religious minorities and women. Obama said nation-building at home is a priority to maintain American leadership.

Romney:
Romney said the U.S. needs to provide a comprehensive and robust plan to help the world of Islam reject radical extremism. He said economic and educational investment and establishing rule of law is the way to prevent this terrorism.

SYRIA

Conflict

The unrest in Syria that some characterize as a civil war began in March 2011. With an aim to remove President Bashar al-Assad and his regime from power, rebel opposition fighters have fought the government and continue today, leaving behind tens of thousands of casualties — some the result of attacks on civilians by the government. The international community has been split in its support and generally slow to react.

Should we reassess our policy on Syria?

Obama:
Obama said getting in involved in Syria’s internal conflict is a serious step that cannot be taken until the U.S. knows with whom it is working. The president did not support the arming of Syrians with weapons that could potentially be used against the U.S. He added his belief that Syrian President Bashar Hafez al-Assad’s days are numbered.

Romney:
Romney said it’s his priority to remove Assad from power, but he doesn’t want a military conflict there. “We don’t want to get drawn in,” Romney said. He emphasized the need to organize allies and other groups to take the lead against Syrian leaders. He wants to make sure they have sufficient arms to fight but ensure they don’t land in the hands of others.

IRAN/ISRAEL

Conflict

In August 2012, international nuclear inspectors reported Iran was well into development of a site for nuclear fuel production. Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pressured the Obama administration to establish “red lines” of intolerance for Iran’s activities, and Obama has not yet adhered to their request. Obama has emphasized diplomacy, but Romney has pushed for tougher action.

Would you be willing to declare that an attack on Israel is an attack on the United States?

Both called Israel the greatest ally in the region and agreed the U.S. will stand with Israel if the country is attacked. They agreed Iran is an enemy to Israel, and its nuclear aspirations must be stopped.

Obama called on the collective pressure of the international community to compel Iran. He said the U.S. would take all options necessary to make sure Iran didn’t obtain a nuclear weapon if international pressure was ignored, but he didn’t elaborate on specifics.

Romney characterized the president as weak on pressuring Iran. The two went back and forth on the progress of Iran’s nuclear capabilities and the proper degree of U.S. pressure. 

AFGHANISTAN

Conflict

The war in Afghanistan, the lengthiest conflict in U.S. history, continues today. It began in 2001 with a declared initiative to end the power of al-Qaeda and the Taliban. Since a U.S. troops surge in 2009, U.S. presence in the country has declined in recent years. Obama declared the U.S. will be out by the end of 2014, passing security responsibility to the Afghan government.

What do you do if the Afghans cannot handle their security by the deadline for withdrawal of U.S. troops?

Obama:
Obama said the U.S. has achieved many of its incoming goals after years of forgetting why the U.S. was there in the first place. When mentioning homebound U.S. veterans, the president suggested taking care of the home front will be a priority after the withdrawal in 2014.

Romney: Romney agreed with Obama that troops must be withdrawn by 2014. He said the Taliban presence in Pakistan will affect success in Afghanistan. As a holder of nuclear weapons, Pakistan is an important piece of the equation. He said going into Pakistan to kill Osama bin Laden was the right thing to do, but it has caused tension between the two nations.

CHINA

Conflict

Romney has criticized Obama for what he believes is the president’s weak stance concerning China’s growing power and unfair trade practices. He characterized China as a “currency manipulator” in the last presidential debate. Obama has filed complaints with the World Trade Organization against China, some of which have been successful. The president has acknowledged some jobs that have gone to China won’t come back.

What does the current rise of China mean for the future of the U.S.?

Obama: The president said working with China is a matter of ensuring the U.S. is a Pacific power, building relationships with nearby countries to increase international pressure on China. Obama highlighted his attempts to fight for U.S. industries against unfair practices by China.

Romney:
Romney said Obama was not doing enough to stand up for the U.S.  He criticized China, stating the country has stolen creative and intellectual U.S. property and hacked into U.S. computers. Romney agreed with Obama’s statement that China can be both an adversary and potential partner if it plays by the rules.