sports women's soccer

Seniors to be honored in final home game

As the last regular-season game for the IU women’s soccer team, Friday night’s match against Ohio State is the deciding factor in the team’s acceptance into the Big Ten Tournament.

But it is also of a more sentimental significance for the team.

The match is Senior Night for the Hoosiers, the last regular-season home game for the team’s three seniors as the season comes to a close. It provides the opportunity to honor them as players as well as their accomplishments throughout their four years at IU.

Forward Orianica Velasquez, defender Molly Buynak and defender Ciersten Burks will participate in what could potentially be their last game with the team in the regular season.

“It’s pretty sad,” Velasquez said. “I thought it was going to be easier, but it’s not.”
IU Coach Mick Lyon said their development and contribution to the team has been quite notable, and he’s enjoyed the time spent helping them grow.

“I characterize them all as somewhat chance players that have worked out phenomenally and have worked out because of their hard work and commitment to representing IU and getting the most out of the experience of being here,” he said. “It’s been a fun four years working with them.”

The seniors reflect on their time playing for IU and what they will take away from their four years spent on the pitch.

Orianica Velasquez, forward
Hometown: Bogota, Colombia

Favorite memory: “I would say just beating Purdue. That was so nice just to be there, and it was Coach’s 200th win. Everything was just perfect that night.”

What she’s learned: “Here, we’re like a family. These guys just want to have fun, and they love to play soccer. I think I learned that. It’s not just competition. It’s also being a friend and working hard, setting goals together and working to accomplish them.”

Lyon’s Comments: “What incredible challenges she faced — walking off the plane, speaking half English, not understanding the culture, things like that. For her to develop to where she is now is just a credit to her hard work.”

Molly Buynak, defender
Hometown: Strongsville, Ohio

Favorite memory: “I can’t really think of one off the top of my head. I just love this team, and I’m going to miss the girls so much. That’ll be the biggest thing I’ll miss. Just any time with them has been really fun.”

What she’s learned: “The most important thing I’ve learned is patience, to have faith in the system, definitely to have fun and to enjoy what you love to do.”

Lyon’s Comments: “Molly’s story is just an inspiration to all of us, coming back from so many injuries ... She’s certainly at the top as far as smarts in the game, understanding how to play the game.”

Ciersten Burks, defender
Hometown: Indianapolis

Favorite memory: “I’d say probably the bonfire before the Purdue game, that was a great memory. And then going on to win the Golden Boot — I’ll remember that for the rest of my life.”

What she’s learned: “Just to always keep working hard, and that with hard work and coming together we reach our goals and continue to improve. I think we really showed that this season.”

Lyon’s Comments: “While she’s the nicest, politest young lady in the world, she’s a tough SOB when it comes to playing. She’s a tough competitor and physical on that side.”