sports women's basketball

IU defeats KYSU in exhibition

Women's Basketball

It was an exhibition game, but IU Coach Curt Miller got his first victory for the Hoosiers, as the women’s basketball team defeated Kentucky State 77-34 Tuesday at Assembly Hall.

In the only exhibition game of the season, Miller never let up on his team, yelling at his players to “move” on offense and stomping his feet as the team continued to learn its new playbook.

“The best thing about exhibition games is the teaching part and the teaching tool after the game,” Miller said. “We can get in the film room and discuss things that went well and certainly things we need to work on and concerns. This is the first step for the new era. We’ve got a lot to work on.”

Senior forward Aulani Sinclair led all scorers with 15 points in 30 minutes. She went 3-7 from three-point range and made both of her free throws.

“She has to have a good year for us, or we’re in a boatload of trouble,” Miller said. “She’s got to score for us, but she’s also got to lead by example and lead vocally.”

Kentucky State, a Division II school, didn’t score a field goal during the first eight minutes of the game and only had two field goals at halftime as the Hoosiers led 41-9.
The Thorobreds also had 22 turnovers for the game, compared to IU’s seven.

“It’s getting there,” Miller said. “As you can tell, we’re trying to get them to play with some passion and emotion and be together as a unit out there. Good and bad on defense, too. We’ve got to be better. We’re not satisfied.”

Freshman guard Nicole Bell made her first start of her career with junior guard Andrea Newbauer still sidelined from an ankle injury. Bell scored nine points, grabbed five rebounds and racked up a game-high three assists.

“It was a dream come true just to represent Indiana,” Bell said. “I felt very comfortable. There were some moments where I think we got a little shaky, but then we got back into it and ran it well. But I definitely think there’s room for improvement.”

Sophomore center Quaneisha McCurty and senior center Sasha Chaplin combined for 24 points and 11 rebounds to pace the Hoosier frontcourt.

Miller rotated 13 different players into the game, including sophomore guard Candyce Ussery during the second half, who has been battling nagging injuries in the preseason.

Miller instituted a new tradition that he brought with him from Bowling Green.
The team will stay on the court after the game to greet fans.

“I really, really want to be the touchable program in this community,” he said. “I want our fans to feel like they’re a part of our program as it grows. There’s no better feeling than they actually get to interact with the players after every game and bring young children for autographs.”