sports men's soccer

Hoosiers hope to keep streak alive against Butler

IU v. Wis. Soccer

Five days between games is not the longest stretch for the IU men’s soccer team this season.

This past weekend was the first the Hoosiers had off since the season began. The Hoosiers resume play tonight and look to extend their four-game undefeated streak (3-0-1) when they take on the Butler Bulldogs.

IU Coach Todd Yeagley said the break’s length was ideal.

“The true weekend was different,” he said. “It allowed a couple guys to rest up, which is nice this time of year. The schedule played favorably. It’s good to get away for a day, to refocus and realize what’s in front of you. Our players enjoyed that.

“They’re hungry to get back on the field. Too long of a break’s not a good thing, so I think it was just long enough.”

Since IU’s last loss, a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Notre Dame at home on Sept. 26, the Hoosiers have scored four of their nine goals in the first half, including at least one in their last three matches. Prior to the Hoosiers 4-1 victory at Kentucky on Oct. 3, Indiana had amassed 16 goals – three in the first half – in 10 matches.

Following the loss against the Fighting Irish, sophomore forward Eriq Zavaleta said the Hoosiers need to stop teams early.

In Lexington, Ky., the Hoosiers took a 2-0 lead entering halftime. They won 4-1 and moved their record to 8-0-0 in games in which they possessed the lead. A 2-0 win against Wisconsin on Oct. 6 ran that record to 9-0-0. Four days later, Louisville overcame a 1-0 halftime deficit and took a 2-1 lead in the 61st minute. Zavaleta’s 12th goal of the season about nine minutes later preserved the draw for IU.

Zavaleta said scoring first helps dictate pace.

“It gives us confidence going forward throughout the game,” he said. “Starting and scoring early gives you the opportunity to settle down. That’s been the key to our success so far in the past stretch of games and it’s something we need to continue to strive to accomplish.”

Against the Bulldogs, IU will play its second in-state opponent of the season. Junior midfielder A.J. Corrado, a Zionsville, Ind., native, said he and his teammates have a history with their opponents.

“We grew up playing with a lot of the guys that play on Butler,” he said. “There’s that aspect. But at the same time, it’s another game on our schedule that we’re looking to win.”

Butler fell 1-0 to Virginia Commonwealth Sunday afternoon. Zavaleta said the Bulldogs’ loss against the Rams will make a difference.

“Ultimately, they’ll have enough rest to come in,” he said. “They’ll be hyped up for this game. They’ve been waiting for this game for a while now. They’ll be ready.”

Last season, Zavaleta delivered the game-winning goal in the 85th minute against Butler. Yeagley said it would be difficult for the Bulldogs’ coaching staff to make a game plan to stop Zavaleta and that his team won’t want to lose to friends from the opposite team.

“A lot of these guys are friends,” he said. “Any time you do that, I don’t have to say much on the motivational part. You don’t like losing to a buddy and a past teammate. It’ll be a physical game. Throw the records out the window. I think it’s going to be a good soccer game.”