sports men's soccer

Hoosiers open conference play with victory against Ohio State

Freshman forward Andrew Oliver’s first career goal extended No. 15 Indiana’s unbeaten streak in Big Ten openers to 22, as the Hoosiers won 2-0 against Ohio State on Sunday afternoon at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

Sophomore midfielder Kerel Bradford possessed the ball five yards from midfield on the Hoosiers’ right side.

He served a ball to the edge of the Buckeyes’ 18-yard box, just to the right of the semicircle. Ohio State defender Chris Gomez and goalkeeper Alex Ivanov exposed the net, and Oliver got his right foot on the ball just under Gomez’s left.

Gomez chased the ball toward the left-side post and slid in an attempt to clear. He was unsuccessful, as the ball bounced off the post and in, giving IU its first opening-half goal of September.

“It was a pretty awesome feeling,” Oliver said. “I had a lot of good chances this season that I haven’t put away yet, so finding it in a real big game for us is a great feeling. Really exciting.”

Oliver said the drought was not an oft-discussed concern because the Hoosiers have always seemed to find good chances. They have just been unable to convert.

Sophomore forward Eriq Zavaleta converted on his second penalty kick goal in as many attempts to double the Hoosiers’ lead in the 47th minute. Buckeye midfielder

Austin McAnena’s challenge against Oliver in the box allowed Zavaleta an opportunity from the penalty spot, and he converted on the opportunity.

Ivanov made his fourth career start for the Buckeyes. IU Coach Todd Yeagley said his team wanted to attack the new goalkeeper.

“We knew they had some instability with the goalkeeper in particular,” he said. “We wanted to make the goalkeeper a part of the game as much as we could. We wanted to test this goalkeeper.”

Defensively, the Hoosiers shut down Buckeyes forward Chris Hegngi. The 2011 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year attempted five shots, his closest opportunity coming in the 50th minute.

Ohio State forward Raymond Olavarria provided the cross from the right side. Senior goalkeeper Luis Soffner saved Hegngi’s header from six yards away.

Zach Mason’s follow-up shot was deflected away by Hegngi, and an offsides call helped the Hoosiers escape.

“In our game plan, (Hegngi) was one of the key players,” Bradford said. “We were able to keep him in front of us and away from our goal.”

Entering play Sunday, Indiana possessed an all-time series lead of 36-4-3. The Buckeyes had won three of the last four matches. With their first win in Columbus since 2008, IU has now won the last two.

The Hoosiers won despite junior midfielder Nikita Kotlov missing the game due to illness. Kotlov scored the only goal in the Hoosiers’ 1-0 victory against the Buckeyes last season.

“It comes to show that we have a great, deep team,” Oliver said. “We can bring players off the bench, and they can come in and have a positive effect every game.”

OSU had an opportunity to score first in the 12th minute, as Gomez got a header on the Buckeyes’ first corner kick. Soffner, moving to his right, dived to make the save.

Soffner finished with six saves and earned his fifth shutout of the season.

Yeagley said Sunday’s shutout could have significant ramifications regarding the postseason.

“Every goal and every shutout is really important,” he said. “It might be the difference when it comes to seeding.”

Bradford said people haven’t seen everything the team has to offer.

“As we go forward, people are going to be pleased and shocked at what we can do for a full 90 minutes,” he said.