sports women's soccer

Hoosiers lose to Wolverines in Big Ten introduction

The IU women’s soccer team simply could not connect up top Saturday against Michigan, resulting in a 3-0 loss to kick off Big Ten play.

Two Michigan goals in the first half came as blows to the Hoosiers, catching them slightly off guard.

“It was a well-fought game,” IU Coach Mick Lyon said. “In the first half, they had two very good chances, and they converted them both. That made things difficult for us.”

The plan was to get back into the game in the second half, but opportunities to retaliate were few and far between, Lyon said.

“We didn’t as a team come out as fired up and committed as we were in the first half,” Lyon said. “That made it difficult to muster up many good opportunities. We didn’t rebound with the belief that we could get back into the game. It’s a team sport, and you’ve got to have 11 all gunning for it at the same time.”

When Michigan scored yet again in the second half, IU failed to respond, with the Wolverines outshooting the Hoosiers 15-3 and all of IU’s shots taking place in the
first half.

“Maybe it was because we were nervous, since it’s Big Ten and it’s such a fast-paced, physical conference,” junior midfielder Lisa Nouanesengsy said. “I feel like it’s a different atmosphere than the games we’ve been playing.”

The team’s defense remained solid, particularly in the second half, but it wasn’t enough to make things happen offensively, Lyon said.

Both Nouanesengsy and Lyon said dwelling on the loss is out of the question.

The key is to learn from mistakes that were made and work on the team’s mental approach throughout practice this week, Lyon said.

As for now, the team needs to let the loss go, Nouanesengsy said.

“We just need to move on,” she said. “I know a lot of the girls are disappointed about the score, but we just need to work on some things during the week and prepare for the next game.”

Despite the loss, the upcoming Big Ten games remain on the team’s radar, Lyon said.

“I’m looking forward to the next couple of games,” he said. “I know they’re on the road, but I’m not so worried about that.”