Creative magazine seeks submissions

Calling all artists.

As a link between the student population and creative arts, the Union Board student committee produces a magazine each semester featuring the talents of IU students.

From now until Sept. 21, the committee will accept submissions from undergraduate and graduate students to be considered for the next publication of Canvas Creative Arts Magazine.

The style or genre of submissions is unlimited, Canvas Editor and Inside Magazine Social Media Director Dianne Osland said.

“If it’s well written and/or can fit into the magazine, it will be considered,” Osland said.
Submissions can include — but are not limited to — poetry, short stories, formal essays, paintings, drawings or photos of other artwork.

After the submission deadline, the committee will spend the rest of the semester reviewing each piece submitted and select the best pieces for publication.

“If it’s something that really connects with the group, or we think ‘oh wow, we really like the way this sounds,’ it doesn’t matter what it is,” said junior Jared Thomas, committee director. “We’ll find a way to fit it in.”

Committee members said they hope to debut their next issue and celebrate the magazine at their premiere party.

The magazine committee was awarded the title of “Best Literary Magazine” by the Indiana Collegiate Press Association in spring 2011.

Until the next issue is published, students can pick up a copy of the current issue free of charge at the Canvas Creative Arts newsstand located in the Indiana Memorial Union Starbucks.

Students can submit up to six pieces for the upcoming issue. To submit a piece, visit the magazine’s website at ubcanvas.com and click on the submission tab for further directions. There is no application process.