Column: Bring a taste of Brazilian barbecue to Bloomington

Flavor

Nothing says “happy Labor Day” like a magnificent mesquite barbecue.

Our day of celebrating workers, economic growth and societal success couldn’t be done right without our favorite foods smoked and grilled to perfection.

Believe it or not, the United States is not the only country that takes a day to celebrate its labor force. International Workers’ Day is celebrated on May 1 in more than 80 countries.

Regardless of the date, other cultures preserve similar cookout traditions. Barbecue is best in Brazil.

Brazilians know how to cook up cattle with sensational seasoning, no matter what the occasion.

Brazilian barbecue has been a staple since the Portuguese began raising cattle.
Cowboys in the south of Brazil — known as gauchos — lived off their barbecue, or “churrasco” in Portuguese.

Barbecue has since evolved into one of Brazil’s most celebrated and world-renowned cuisines.

While I was visiting Brazil, a local friend told me there were four things I had to do in order to die happy: visit a Brazilian beach, see a samba show, watch a local soccer game and visit a churrascaria.

Churrascarias, or Brazilian steak houses, specialize in authentically brilliant barbecues.

Brazilian barbecue is made brilliant by the way it’s prepared.

Originally, churrasco was cooked on skewers over coals. A home barbecue pit was decorated with designs and tiles and would be used for almost any occasion.

Now, Brazilians cut meat into small slivers and enjoy tastes of different delicacies with numerous side dishes for a meal that can last for hours.

The secret to the magnificent taste is the meat’s freshness and cut. The sauces, salads and side dishes help bring out the spicy sensations that have any diner
wanting more.

When I visited a special steak house in Brazil, I never thought I could eat so much.

I pushed myself to my eating limit, but saying no to more meat was nearly impossible.

Waiters came by with an unlimited supply of skewers with chicken, sausage, beef, lamb and even chicken hearts to satiate anyone’s craving.

Feeling as luxurious as royalty, I asked my waiter how to bring the Brazilian barbecue experience back home. He said the seasoning is simple: sea salt and ground garlic.

It seemed too straightforward to be so scrumptious. I took note on the side dishes to bring the taste of barbecue with me.

An easy, sweet relish for any barbecue can be created by combining cinnamon, cane sugar, brown sugar and lemon juice. Serve it on the barbecued meat with pineapple slices.

If you want something spicy, try serving a salad of hearts of palm and tomato.
Top it off with the magical molho a campanha, a hot sauce made of diced tomatoes, onions, vinegar, salt and hot jalapeno peppers.

For a satiating side dish, try a corn, roasted potatoes, steamed carrots and cabbage salad marinated with olive oil and parsley.

Equally as tasty is a special lima bean salad, marinated with lime vinegar and olive oil.

A Brazilian barbecue experience can make you the cultural chef of your next tailgate.
These recipes are as simple as sea salt but as sensational as a samba
celebration.

­— espitzer@indiana.edu