West Nile case confirmed in county

Mosquito

Local health care officials confirmed a West Nile virus case in Monroe County Wednesday.

The Indiana State Department of Health also announced the state’s first West Nile virus-related death this year in Vanderburgh County.

“We are encouraging everyone to take steps to protect themselves from West Nile virus, since so far this year, mosquitoes that carry the virus have been found in 62 counties, including Monroe,” Monroe County Health Department Administrator Penny Caudill said in a press release.

Local health officials say one resident in the county has been diagnosed with the virus, according to the health department.

Seven cases have been confirmed across the state this year, according to the ISDH.

Currently, there is no vaccine or cure for the West Nile virus.

Individuals who exhibit symptoms should seek treatment from health care providers.

Health officials report individuals age 50 and older are at greatest risk for serious illness and even death from West Nile virus.

“Because this virus is carried and transmitted by mosquitoes, we are all susceptible to it,” State Health Commissioner Gregory Larkin said.  “The tragic death we’ve recently experienced serves as a reminder of just how important it is to take steps to protect ourselves from mosquitoes, both indoors and outdoors.

When you open your windows, be sure they have screens so mosquitoes can’t get in. When you go outside, you can protect yourself by covering up and wearing insect repellent, but you can also reduce the amount of mosquitoes around your home by eliminating areas they may use for breeding grounds.”

— Michael Majchrowicz