Great Grown Up Spelling Bee to return to Buskirk-Chumley

Think spelling bees are only for grade schoolers? Sara Neely, executive director of the Foundation of Monroe County Community Schools, begs to differ.

The Great Grown Up Spelling Bee will be tomorrow at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre. Participants range from WTIU members to Ball State students.   

“The idea came up about three years ago, when our events coordinator, Cyrilla Helm, went down to Austin, (Texas)” Neely said. “A school down there did it, and it was such a great idea — they raised so much money for the schools.”

Though the event is at the Buskirk-Chumley, it is coordinated by the Foundation, and all proceeds will benefit educational programs for MCCSC students.

“This is our biggest fundraiser,” Neely said. “This is where we raise the majority of our money. The money goes in through a huge grant pool where teachers can apply for grants to buy equipment, books, you name it. It’s a big, huge grant cycle.”

Buskirk-Chumley Executive Director Danielle McClelland said management will rent out the theater for the event.

“The Buskirk is a community resource,” McClelland said. “BCT management operates the theatre on the city’s behalf. We make the theatre accessible to the community.”
Organizations throughout the community go to the Buskirk-Chumley if they want to rent the theater for an event, and it is set at an affordable price.

The Bee is a team competition, and each team consists of three members. Supporting each team is a local business, civic group or individual. As part of the fun and festivities, the teams will dress in PG-rated costumes.

“This is our third year doing this, and the turnout has always been excellent,” Neely said. “We usually have between 10 and 12 teams competing.”

John Whikehart, chancellor of Ivy Tech Community College, will return as emcee of the Bee.

“The words are phenomenal,” Neely said. “John Whikehart is our emcee, and just to see him is worth coming. He’ll say the word, then come up with his own definition for the contestants.”

Also in attendance will be Mayor Mark Kruzan, Jill Bolte Taylor, Judith A. Demuth and Valerie Haughton, who will act as judges of the competition. David Pillar will be the official timekeeper.

“We operate a box office, have professional staffing, event planning as well as technical stuff that makes the event happen,” McClelland said.

Spellers will compete for the championship trophy and the 2012 Bloomington Spelling Title.

“We have had so much success with the Great Grown Up Spelling Bee,” Neely said. “It’s a grown-up event, and we always have a lot of fun.”