Sunday, June 16

Hoosier Fit runs, walks

From IDS reports

Local residents and IU students looking to get in shape this summer can stop by the Hoosier Fit Expo for tips, tricks and inspiration. The event, taking place May 25-26, is the first fitness expo for nonprofit sponsor Hoosier Fit.

“We just wanted to get a great town involved and IU students involved and just preach a healthier lifestyle,” Volunteer Coordinator Ali Smith said.

Part of the event’s proceeds will benefit the Wounded Warrior Project, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, American Cancer Society and American Red Cross.

The expo includes a Friday concert by HomeGrown and Straight No Chaser, as well as a Saturday concert by Jenn Cristy Band. Fitness booths will be open Saturday morning for participants to shop and try everything from Jazzercise to Zumba.

The focal point of the expo is a Saturday morning run/walk event, in which Biggest Loser participant Tara Costa will participate. A 10-kilometer run will begin at 9 a.m., a one-mile walk will begin at 9:30 a.m. and a five-kilometer run will begin at 10 a.m.

Hoosier Fit is still looking for volunteers, especially for Saturday morning’s run/walk event.

To register for the run/walk event, find more information about the Hoosier Fit Expo or learn about volunteer opportunities, visit hoosierfitexpo.com.

Potential volunteers can also contact Smith at smithalc@indiana.edu.

— Colleen Sikorski