Artists show art collages at Blueline Gallery

The two and three-dimensional works of Virginia Patrick, Paul Smedberg, John Terril and Roast Hoggmann on display at Blueline Gallery are all part of the newest gallery called “Mixing it Up — Collage.”

Jim Andrews, the gallery’s art curator, chose this theme when piecing together
the show.

Blueline Gallery is a creative co-op featuring local artists’ work on a one- to two-month rotation. The four artists with work on display are all local, using different mediums to create their collages.

Roast Hoggmann, an IU graduate who majored in fine arts in painting, creates 3-D collages.

Photo remixing is Paul Smedberg’s approach to collaging. He takes a photograph and alters it in Photoshop and other photo editing programs.

The next two artists, John Terril and Virginia Patrick, have been partners for seven years. The couple collaborated on one piece of art and also separately displayed their work for the show. Their art is displayed on one wall of the gallery, connected by the piece they both created.

“John thinks of it as us holding hands,” Patrick said.

Patrick focuses on handmade collages. Her collages are very personal and often have a political flavor to them. One piece features a pig figurine in an old cigar box surrounded by paper money.

Terril uses a handmade method similar to Patrick’s. Some of his work features a collage of two to three different images meshed together.

Andrews said the best thing about multiple artists at one show is “given the variety of the show, there is almost something for everyone,” Andrews said.  

IU freshman Lexie Greitzer said she found the artists’ work to be very unique.

“They take something ordinary and throw in a random element,” Greitzer said. She also said the pieces reminded her of old art projects she had completed in high school.

“It inspires me to go look at my old work and use it to decorate my room.”

Patrick said she feels compelled to do art but has never made a living from it.

She does it for herself.

“(Art) is more of a life work than a career,” Andrews said.