Tennis recruit wins Canadian championship

After a stellar weekend for one of their future recruits, the Hoosiers can now look forward to the services—and returns—of a national champion.  

Samuel Monette, who hails from the same Montreal suburb, Repentigny, as future teammate junior Isade Juneau, captured the Canadian Under-18 national championship in both singles and doubles this past week.  

Monette, who entered the tournament as the top seed after finishing as runner-up this past year, defeated second-ranked Brayden Schnur 7-6 (6), 6-0 in Markham, Ont., to earn the singles title. In doubles, he partnered up with Edward Nguyen to beat the British Columbian duo of Alexander Day and Zach Lidster by a 6-2, 6-1 mark.  

The victories will only fuel the excitement surrounding the recruiting class due to enroll at IU this fall.  Earlier this spring, the 2012 class was rated No. 15 in the country by TennisRecruiting.net, making it the most heralded collection of incoming freshmen to join the Hoosiers during IU Coach Randy Bloemendaal’s tenure.

Monette is one of two Canadians and four players overall to have signed a letter of intent to play in Bloomington this fall.  He will be joined by fellow countryman Daniel Bednarczyk of Woodbridge, Ont., and two rising seniors from Indianapolis-area high schools, Elliott Yee of Carmel, and Christopher Essick of Fishers.