Sexual assault resource guide

WHAT TO DO

If you have been sexually assaulted...
— Go to a safe place. Call a trusted friend to stay with you.
— Call a rape crisis hotline for support and guidance.
— Get a medical exam, even if you have no physical injuries, and discuss the risk of exposure to sexually transmitted diseases and the possibility of pregnancy. Middle Way House can send an on-scene advocate to support you through the medical exam and police interview.
— Talk with an advocate who is trained to assist survivors of rape and sexual assault. It is never too late to take this step. Many victims do not realize they need help until months or years have passed.
— Know that the most common response in a sexual assault situation is to freeze.
— Look for common reactions to sexual assault.
    Emotional: shock, disbelief, intense sadness, anger, guilt, shame.
    Mental: fears about personal safety, remembering what happened and what it felt like, flashbacks, difficulty concentrating on routine activities.
    Behavioral: changes in sexual behavior, self-destructive behavior, extreme reactions to stress.
    Physical: sleep disturbance, headaches, stomach aches, depression, changes in eating habits.
— Know the definitions of sexual assault and rape. Middle Way House defines rape as sexual intercourse that is forced or coerced, including intimidation or physical force. Sexual intercourse means vaginal, anal or oral penetration of any kind. The organization defines sexual assault as completed or attempted unwanted sexual contact. Sexual assault includes such things as grabbing, fondling and verbal threats.
— Notify the police if you are comfortable. Reporting the crime can help you regain a sense of control and may help to ensure the safety of other potential victims. Notifying the police does not mean you have to press charges against your assailant.
— Press charges if you believe that is the right decision. If you decide to press charges...
    Preserve all evidence of the assault. Do not shower, bathe, douche, wash your clothes or brush your teeth. Do not disturb anything in the area where the assault occurred.
    Write down as much as you can remember about the circumstances of the assault, including a description of the assailant.
    Go to the hospital emergency department and ask for a rape kit examination within 96 hours of the assault to preserve evidence needed for a prosecution. Asking for this exam does not mean you will have to press charges. Exams are free in Indiana.

If you decide to receive a rape kit examination...
— Know how the process works. Middle Way House Prevention Programs Coordinator Cierra Thomas-Williams described the rape kit examination that a victim will encounter.
    - The person administering the rape kit will bring out a 8x11 box with cultures in it.
    - The victim will stand on a tarp as the exam is administered.
    - The person administering will take pictures and check every place on the body, using cotton swabs.
    - The person administering has to stay with the rape kit the entire time. The rape kit is then sealed and refrigerated.
— Getting a rape kit does not mean you have to report the rape right away. You have up to two years to report a rape and you have the option to not report at all.
— Know where to get a rape kit exam.
    IU-Health Bloomington Hospital 812-336-9515
    IU Health Center 812-855-4011
    Morgan Hospital (Martinsville) 765-349-6522
    Greene County General Hospital (Linton) 812-847-5204
    Dunn Memorial (Bedford) 812-275-3331
    Daviess Community Hospital (Washington) 812-254-8892

If your friend has been sexually assaulted...
— Believe the survivor about what happened. Assure the survivor that it was not his/her fault.
— Listen attentively and without judgment to allow the survivor to work through the pain.
— Be patient. The healing process is not linear. It may be months or years before a survivor is able to handle the feelings associated with the assault in a way that lets her/him move forward.
— Permitting and encouraging the survivor to make her/his own decisions is an essential part of recovery. Respect the survivor’s confidentiality and decisions about how, when and with whom she/he shares the details of the assault.
— As a caregiver, you may have some psychological experiences that are similar to those the survivor faces. Support is available for you through Middle Way House.

RESOURCES

At IU...
— Crisis services
Walk-In Clinic 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at the IU Health Center, 600 N. Jordan Ave.
After Hours/Weekends 812-855-5711, option 1
24-Hour Sexual Assault Crisis Line 812-855-8900

— Counseling
Counselor appointments - Call 812-855-5711 to make an appointment with a Counseling and Psychological Services counselor or make an appointment on the fourth floor of the IU Health Center. It can take up to two weeks to schedule your first appointment. All counseling appointments are free of charge for sexual assault victims.
Group therapy - Call 812-855-5711 to join a group therapy session. Find out more about therapy groups at http://healthcenter.indiana.edu/counseling/services/therapy-groups.shtml.

Through Middle Way House...
— 24 hour crisis line - Call 812-336-0846 to speak with a Middle Way House representative or to ask that an on-scene advocate be sent to the hospital in the case of a sexual assault.
— Middle Way House’s Crisis Intervention Coordinator - Call 812-333-7404 to find out more about the Rape Crisis Center or about a rape support group.
— Legal advocates staff - Call 812-333-7404, x 114 to speak with a legal advocate. Legal advocates are available in the Bloomington office from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays.
— Middle Way House is located at 338 South Washington St.
— Outreach offices
    Greene County (Bloomfield) 812-384-8769
    Martin County (Loogootee) 812-295-2993
    Owen County (Spencer) 812-829-1660

In Bloomington...
— IU Health Bloomington Hospital Emergency Department (available 24/7) 601 West Second St. 812-336-9515
— Indiana Legal Services (help with civil court issues) 812-339-7668 or 800-822-4774, http://www.indianajustice.org
— Protective Order Project (help in filing protection orders) 812-855-4800, http://www.law.indiana.edu/pop
— Monroe County Victims Assistance Program (assault related financial help) 812-349-2670
— District 10 Pro Bono Project (provides legal services to lower income people) 812-339-3610

Online...
— RAINN (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network) www.rainn.org
— Faces of Rape and Sexual Abuse Survivors http://nobukoonline.com
— National Sexual Violence Resource Center www.nsvrc.org
— Hope for Healing www.hopeforhealing.org

Information for much of this list came from Middle Way House brochures, source interviews and additional websites.