IU defense adjusts to change during spring practice

football

Senior safety Alexander Webb is ready for a new spring season after a 2011 spring filled with introductions and adjustments.

“It’s completely different,” Webb said. “We know what to expect. We know what effort we need to bring every day. Last year, going into spring ball, we didn’t know what to expect or what was expected of us from the coaches. This year, we know everything.”

As Webb and other defenders become more accustomed to spring practices, the departure of linebackers Jeff Thomas and Leon Beckum and the addition of Defensive Ends Coach Jon Fabris are changing the makeup of the IU defense that surrendered 37.3 points per game in 2011.

Rising sophomore linebacker Chase Hoobler said the absence of Thomas and Beckum left a number of players battling for the three starting linebacker jobs.

“The positions are open,” Hoobler said. “We’ve got some new linebackers in, and it’s just straight competition, which I think is best for us because it pushes everybody to go harder and play their best, and you’ve got to be on your game everyday.”

The new linebackers include junior college transfers sophomore David Cooper and junior Jacarri Alexander.

Defensive Tackles Coach Mark Hagen said that after a down year, the Hoosiers need the intangibles brought by experienced junior college players.

“When you’re a 1-11 football team, you’re just not getting it done,” Hagen said. “We brought those guys in for all those things — for swagger, for some confidence, for some physicality, for some instincts. They haven’t disappointed so far.”

Webb’s raspy voice consistently rises above the din of practice, whether he’s quoting movies or hyping himself up before a snap.

“You can hear Jacarri all day on the field,” Hoobler said. “That’s good for us. He’s kind of taken the role over of being the hype man on the team, so that’s good for us.”

As Webb fills the role of verbal spark plug, Fabris is becoming another leader of the defense, more in the sage role. His extensive speeches include rhymes, anecdotes and pieces of wisdom from a career that has spanned 29 years and nine teams.

Fabris said he has noticed during his career that many collegiate athletes overthink during drills and scrimmages, and that the Hoosiers are no different.

“If they start thinking, it’s paralysis by analysis,” Fabris said. “They’re thinking too much as opposed to honing in on what they’re supposed to be doing.”

His presence during the spring only lasts for the 15 spring practices, however. He said the majority of the responsibility falls on the players during their summer, which spans about 100 days during which the coaches cannot work with them.

“I only get 15 days with them,” Fabris said. “They have 100 days. Yeah, they’re going to lift weights, they’re going to run, those things are important, but the great players will use those 100 days to make themselves better football players.”

With last year’s seniors departed, these 15 practices are the first chances for rising seniors to embrace a leadership role, and Hagen said for the defense, it starts with the defensive tackles.

Senior defensive tackle Larry Black Jr. said he needs to “light a fire” under his teammates and get the defense to start faster both in practice and in games.

“We definitely have to have the upper leadership role, and it’s up to us to take control and stand out on the defense,” Black said. “We’re not doing our team any justice if we don’t go out there and make plays. This season is going to be upon us, and we have to take control.”