sports softball

Hot Northwestern bats visit Bloomington

This weekend’s Big Ten home stand against Northwestern marks the last time the IU softball team will play in front of students before summer break this year.

However, IU Coach Michelle Gardner said she doesn’t feel it will make a key difference in home-field advantage for the Hoosiers for the remainder of the season.

“I think our fan base is more local people,” Gardner said. “I think it is mostly families who have kids that are a little bit younger, or our families.”

Gardner said that although the fan base has grown during the years, she doubts she will attribute that to a growth in student attendance.

“We’ve had good crowds the past couple of years, but I don’t really think it’s the students,” Gardner said. “Those who do come are loyal fans.”

The Hoosiers (21-21, 5-7) are currently 7-3 at home and 3-8 away.

Saturday’s game against Northwestern marks a four-game home stand the Hoosiers will participate in until they travel to Iowa City, Iowa, next weekend.

“There is always an advantage when you’re playing at home,” Gardner said. “You practice here every day, and you get comfortable here. It’s really easy to just get into your kind of mode.”

Gardner’s approach has worked so far for the Hoosiers this season.

“We really just need to come out and play,” Gardner said. “Whether we are here or there, we need to focus on getting the job done. However, with that being said, I think we’ve played better consistently when we’ve been at home.”

Northwestern (17-22, 5-7) visits Bloomington after completing a two-week, six-game home stand in Evanston, Ill., during which the Wildcats went 3-3.

The Hoosiers will look to take advantage of Northwestern’s 2-8 road record so far this season.  

Sophomore Wildcat Marisa Bast is currently the top RBI producer in the Big Ten. This year, Bast has hit 11 home runs  and has driven in 44 runners.

Junior Emily Allard currently leads the Big Ten in base hits with 59 and stolen bases with 25. Allard, along with senior Adrienne Monka, has also been named to the 2012 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year watch list.

Junior Meghan Lamberth and freshman Amy Letourneau have mostly handled pitching for the Wildcats this season. Lamberth has an 8-10 record during 19 starts. She has a 3.63 ERA, giving up 59 earned runs in 113.2 innings pitched. Letourneau leads the pitching staff in strikeouts with 88 in 84.2 innings pitched.

Despite the talent among the Northwestern team, Gardner said she believes the Hoosiers have the answers.

“I think they are at a good spot right now,” Gardner said. “It is unfortunate we have given up so many runs, but as long as we’re learning and getting better, then I am OK.”