Former IU diver, Olympic medalist dies at 43

IU diving legend Mark Lenzi has died at the age of 43.

A 1992 Olympic Gold Medalist in the 3-meter, Lenzi was hospitalized in critical condition March 28 for fainting spells and a dangerously low blood pressure of 78/48, according to Fredericksburg.com. He was unable to survive and passed away Monday morning.

During his tenure at IU, Lenzi won four Big Ten individual titles, ranging from the 1-meter to the platform, and two national championships in the 1-meter dive. In addition, Lenzi was named NCAA Diver of the Year in both 1989 and 1990.

"Mark was not only a tremendous athlete and competitor, but someone who loved Indiana University and loved being a part of the IU diving family and IU diving tradition," IU Diving Coach Jeff Huber said. "I was fortunate to have been able to coach Mark his senior year."

When he graduated in 1990, Lenzi turned professional and was named Phillips 66 Diver of the Year in 1991 and 1992. At the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain, Lenzi won the gold medal in the 3-meter dive, making him the most recent Hoosier swimmer or diver to do so.

Lenzi was also the first diver ever to break the 100-point barrier on any dive. After a brief retirement, Lenzi returned for the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, where he finished with a bronze medal in the 3-meter dive. In total, Lenzi won 18 international events throughout his career.

Lenzi was inducted into the IU Athletics Hall of Fame in 2001 and has a large banner of his Barcelona gold medal performance posted in the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center. He is survived by his wife of seven years, Dorothy.

"It is a sad day indeed for the Lenzi family, Indiana University, and the IU diving family," Huber said.

Huber said the dynamic between Lenzi and legendary diving coach Hobie Billingsley was a special one that helped define not only diving at IU, but on a national scale.

"He and Hobie were very close and had a father-son type relationship," Huber said. "It was a privilege to watch the two of them work together when Mark came back to IU to make his comeback and earn the bronze medal at the Atlanta Olympics: two of the greatest names in USA diving history — Mark Lenzi and Hobie Billingsley."

— Jordan Littman