B-Line Trail brings customers to west-side businesses

Bline

With its blue-colored architecture, artsy atmosphere and eco-friendly incentives, the B-Line Trail is getting a lot of action.

The 3.1-mile path was created to stimulate the economy on Bloomington’s west end and promote sustainable travel throughout the community. With the warm spring weather enticing people out of their homes, the city’s game plan is being put to the test.

“When it first started, Mayor (Mark) Kruzan said the B-Line Trail was one of the most significant economic development projects the city was undertaking,” said Adam Wason, assistant director for Small Business and Sustainable Development for the City of Bloomington. “In the last year since the trail has been officially opened, there has been a lot of interest in folks wanting to get involved and invest in areas surrounding the B-Line Trail.”

Wason said the city has plans for the future of several plots of land near the trail. Construction for housing additions and commercial endeavors is planned for two locations where Allen and Grimes streets run into Morton Street.

But pre-existing businesses along the B-Line Trail are already capitalizing on the perks the trail provides.

On Saturday mornings during the Farmer’s Market hours from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Le Petit Cafe chef and part-owner Marina Ballor-Fiore opens her kitchen window facing the B-Line Trail to sell crepes, quiche, desserts and hot chocolate to passersby.

“It’s a nice little change from running the restaurant,” she said.

Mark Conlin, owner of Janko’s Little Zagreb, said he has contemplated opening the business during lunch hours to sell its famous rib-eye sandwich the restaurant showcases at Taste of Bloomington every year. The B-Line Trail could help bring more business, and he hopes to see more customers stop off the trail on summer evenings for dinner at Janko’s, he said.

Through the B-Line Business Enhancement Grant Program, a collaborative effort between the department of economic and sustainable development and the Bloomington Urban Enterprise Association, for-profit and nonprofit businesses adjacent to the trail can apply for funding to upgrade the aesthetics or accessibility to their
property.

With a maximum amount of $4,000 per grant, the city has granted funds to a handful of organizations already. Sole Sensations received grant money to build a path from the trail to its business, and WonderLab Museum used its funds to enhance its garden.

Hoosier Cross Fit created a mural on the back of their building with their grant.

“The whole point was for business enhancement, whether it was visually enhanced or provides walkways to enhance business, and we have found it to be very successful,” Wason said. “The hope and expectation is that businesses and residents will continue to want to move and relocate toward the B-Line Trail to take advantage of all it has to offer, and we have seen that already.”