sports water polo

Water polo team cruises to three weekend victories

The No. 11 water polo team dominated its opponents in impressive fashion during the weekend.

In their first match the Hoosiers squared off against Salem International on Saturday, a contest favored heavily for the Hoosiers. Indiana delivered expectations as it tacked on 19 goals, the ninth-highest scoring output in IU history.

Freshman Alexis Jones notched a career-high four goals while fellow freshman Katie Contreras netted three goals. Sophomore Shae Fournier, junior Kim King and freshman Devon Peterson each tallied a pair of goals.

Confident in freshman backup goalie Jojo White, IU Coach Barry King put her in for her second career start, and she shined, making nine saves and an assist during 32 minutes of play.

“We received great efforts from many different players throughout the weekend,” King said. “We came out and executed on both ends of the pool in all three contests.”

In their second match Saturday, the Hoosiers dominated host Notre Dame College 16-7. Ten IU players found the net in the game. Fournier scored three to tie with former Hoosier Brooke Zimmerman (76) on the single-season scoring list.

For Indiana’s final match of the weekend against Gannon, Fournier stole the limelight as her four goals tied her with Jakie Kohli on the all-time scoring list. Her effort, in addition to the 11 additional goals, made it easy enough for IU to win 15-5.

“We’re about to enter the key stretch of the season, with Michigan coming up, followed by the postseason. We just need to keep competing the way that we’re capable of, and that should put us in good position,” King said.