Man faces attempted murder charge after allegedly attacking deputy

Shooting

A Gosport, Ind., man is facing an attempted murder charge after he allegedly fired a sheriff deputy's handgun in an effort to flee following his arrest Thursday.

Brandon Dale Helms, 27, was arrested for domestic disturbance on the 4000 block of W. Vernal Pike Thursday afternoon, said Lt. Bill Parker of the Bloomington Police Department.

As Monroe County Sheriff Deputy Beverly McKnight was transporting Helms in a brown SUV toward the Monroe County Jail, Parker said Helms brought his handcuffed arms under his legs to his front. McKnight reported Helms then began choking her with the handcuffs, Parker said.

While Parker said BPD's marked squad cars have Plexiglas screens separating the officer from the back seat, the SUV did not.

While being choked, Parker said McKnight managed to stop the SUV and tried to force Helms from her neck near the intersection of Seventh and Adams streets at about 2:30 p.m.

Helms then attempted to disarm McKnight, she reported. Parker said Helms was successful in partially removing McKnight's Glock 17 semiautomatic handgun from the holster on her right hip, just enough to get his finger on the trigger.

Parker said Helms admitted to firing the gun, but nobody was shot.

During the incident, McKnight reported that Helms said he was going to kill her, along with Deputy Troy Thomas, who also assisted in Helms' initial arrest. Thomas was not in the SUV during the altercation, Parker said.

Following the shot, Parker said Bloomington resident Ernest Joseph Archer Jr., 41, noticed the altercation inside the SUV as he was mowing his lawn.

Hopping down from his lawnmower, Archer approached the SUV to assist McKnight. Because McKnight had unlocked the SUV during the altercation as she called for backup, Archer was able to open the back door from the outside.

He then reached into the SUV and got Helms off of McKnight. When Archer thought he subdued Helms, he then turned to assist McKnight who was evacuating the vehicle. But then, Parker said, Helms began to flee.

During his assistance, Parker said Archer received minor injuries to his hand, including at least one bite mark. Although Archer was not transported to the hospital by ambulance, Parker said police took him to the hospital to be evaluated.

While Parker said police do not typically advise citizens to intervene during an altercation involving law enforcement, he added that McKnight appreciates Archer's assistance.

“His help was key to her not getting injured worse,” Parker said. “Archer is a true hero.”

During the altercation and investigation, BPD received assistance from Indiana University Police, Indiana state Police, Ellettsville Police Department, the Department of Natural Resources and Indiana Excise Police.

After escaping from the SUV,  Helms ran about a block to a nearby residential address, where he hid underneath a shed, Parker said. Minutes later, he was discovered by Deputy Shawn Karr.

Parker said as Karr tried to restrain Helms, Helms resisted. As with other officers, Helms allegedly said he would kill Karr, too. Eventually pinning Helms to the ground, Karr waited for backup until he was again arrested and transported to the jail.

During the struggle, Karr obtained a bruise to his forehead, Parker said.

For his resistance to Karr, Helms will also be charged with resisting law enforcement, battery on a police officer and intimidation.

Along with these charges, and his attempted murder charge, Helms faces felonies for escape and the attempted disarming of a police officer.

This incident was not Helms' first run-in with authorities. In 2002, Helms was charged with resisting law enforcement, possession of marijuana, disorderly conduct, criminal mischief and intimidation. In another 2002 case, he was charged with theft, battery, resisting law enforcement and obstruction of justice.

In a third incident in 2002, Helms was again charged with resisting law enforcement, along with illegal consumption of an alcoholic beverage.

In 2010 he was charged with maintaining a common nuisance and possession of marijuana and in 2011 he was charged with possession of paraphernalia.

After BPD recovered the firearm Helms used, the fired bullet and other evidence from the incident, the SUV was returned to the Sheriff's Office.

Helms was transported to the hospital for a broken leg. Although he wore a soft walking cast, Parker said he was able to walk on his leg during his transportation.

McKnight was also transported to the hospital for injuries obtained during the altercation.