Sex corrupts in Les Liaisons

Liaisons

Throughout history, seduction and deceit have found a place in cultures around the world.

“Les Liaisons Dangereuses,” set in 18th-century France, reflected this.

Performed in the Wells-Metz Theatre, this Christopher Hampton production is set in a time of morals, class status and white wigs. The performances, although staged in a different era, featured modern music to help the audience connect to the show.

Courtney Lucien portrayed  the young Cecile Volanges, the innocent 15-year-old girl manipulated and seduced into the sexual world surrounding her.

The classic tale of sex and revenge remains relevant to contemporary times, appearing in the modern film “Cruel Intentions,” starring Reese Witherspoon.

“Les Liaisons” is a production about two scheming characters, La Marquise de Merteuil, played by Molly Casey, and Le Vicomte de Valmont, played by Adam St. John, who use sex to hurt those around them, particularly as a form of revenge. The two characters stop at nothing to hurt each other. To them, love is simply a word used in lieu of deceit and vengeance.

“The love game is really interesting,” said Ross Van Dongen, a senior and actor in the show. “I enjoyed it and the way that we put it in the modern influence.”

Van Dongen played the role of Le Chevalier Danceny, a young man caught in the lies of the two seducers. His character fell prey to La Marquise and failed in comparison to Le Vicomte.

Senior Hana Slevin played the part of Emilie. Her role as one of the many mistresses of Le Vicomte was both energetic and raunchy.

Lucien said that the characters of this show are all relatable to many people.

“We didn’t try to make it modern,” Lucien said. “It just was.”