Grocery shopping in Bloomington

After moving out of the dorms and into a house, something suddenly becomes a very true reality for every college student: finances. From utility bills to monthly rent payments to that undying desire for late-night pizza, it can all get hard to keep track of.

One thing that stays constant is the need for food.

With three meals a day and mid-morning and midnight snacks, the cash required for culinary endeavors can seem to disappear fast. But with some consideration and an eye for thrift, any student can still have some bonus cash in the budget to blow at the end of the month.

Kroger, Bloomingfoods and Sahara Mart each carry some of the same groceries, ones that could be considered staples for the college diet. And while one might guess that bargains only exist at one location, each store has some values to bring to the table.

If in the market for produce, particularly apples, head to Bloomingfoods. Not only are the offerings fresher and more various, but they’re also locally grown and subsequently cheaper at $1.39 a pound. Another staple to stock up on in the bulk section here is rice, starting at $1.39 a pound. They also have six-packs of freshly made pitas from Falafels for $4.

Sahara Mart on Indiana Avenue has a few hidden values as well. If in need of some greens, get heads of romaine lettuce here for a dollar a piece. Health cereals like Kashi are also lower in price here than at Kroger. And when in the mood for some chicken, opt for Sahara Mart as well — six thighs of local Amish chicken go for $4.40 and four breasts of the same for $5.

Many of the remaining groceries investigated — bananas, frozen vegetables, pasta and sauce, eggs, milk and sandwich bread — were cheapest at Kroger. The greatest difference in price existed for eggs, with a Kroger dozen averaging a dollar less than the other two stores visited.

There is one staple that has yet to be claimed — cereal.

Favorites like Special K and Cheerios can start to get as pricey at $4.49 a box at Kroger. This might seem reasonable, that is until you buy your cereal with your pharmaceuticals.

CVS frequently has specials on many cereal brands, applying a two boxes for $5 deal to many popular varieties on its shelves.

And while prices differ between each store, each has added value in its members program.

Bloomingfoods offers patrons the chance to buy shares of the co-op for $90 a household and grants discounts to members on all items certain days of the week.
Sahara Mart and Kroger have similar member programs, bringing the price of necessary foodstuffs even more within reach.

Whether a dedicated locavore hunting for the most prime produce in town or a student with a packed schedule and minimal time to shop, strategic stops can save you a buck or two when filling your pantry shelves.