EveryBODY week encourages positive body images

EveryBODY

IU promotes self-esteem with Celebrate EveryBODY week each year.

The week-long event is sponsored by the IU Health Center’s Counseling and Psychological Services, the Coalition for Overcoming Problem Eating/Exercise, Crimson CORPS and Campus Recreational Sports.

Throughout the week, these organizations have planned events that help educate and promote a healthy body image.

“The intention we try to set for the week’s events is to bring awareness to the importance of positive body image and acceptance,” said Dee Dee Dayhoff, a staff therapist at CAPS. “Two of the events specifically ask students to write down something that they like or appreciate about their bodies. It can be a very powerful exercise.”

This type of exercise encourages students to decrease “fat talk,” Dayhoff said. She described “fat talk” as negative comments students make about their bodies or others’.

“Research shows that three to five minutes of fat talk can significantly worsen body dissatisfaction,” Dayhoff said.

“The whole week is about focusing on the positives,” said Andy Fry, assistant director of fitness and wellness  with Campus Recreational Sports. “It doesn’t matter what society tells you, or the mirror or the scale tells you. Your body is amazing and strong. You are beautiful no matter what.”

Scheduled events include talks about men with eating disorders and how media affects body image, as well as a hip-hop Zumba dance party Thursday.

Other ongoing events include a board students can sign to commit to promote self-esteem and the “week without mirrors” in the Student Recreational Sports Center, where the mirrors will be covered and have positive body messages on them instead.

Every day at 6 p.m. through Thursday, students can make “I love my ...” T-shirts in the SRSC lobby, as well as add positive messages to the pledge board.

Students are also encouraged to tweet to the SRSC what they love about themselves by using the hashtag #CEBW. This was a popular component of Celebrate EveryBODY week last year.

Sophomore Chelsea Troyer said she thinks Celebrate EveryBODY week is great for IU.

“There is not enough focus on positive body image,” she said. “The way you look at yourself has a huge impact on your life every day.”

Low self-esteem affects many students, Dayhoff said.

“Poor body image has become the standard in our country,” she said. “Seventy-five percent of adult women and 54 percent of adult men are dissatisfied with their appearance.”

After EveryBODY week is finished, students can participate in certain activities to help their self-esteem. Dayhoff suggests students stop “fat talk,” encourage friends to do the same and continue to practice thinking positively about themselves.

She also recommends that students talk with someone they trust if they feel they are becoming too focused on eating or exercise.