With Love, From

Gettin' dirty in Dominica's dense rainforests

Semester at Sea

Six splendid days have passed since I finally stepped on the ship, and one port has already been crossed off the itinerary. Dominica — no, not the Dominican Republic — the country I was least excited and anxious to visit, had me head-over-heels in love. With its luxurious landscape, friendly locals and rich culture, I was sold as soon as I saw it from the distance as we pulled in to port.

When Christopher Columbus “discovered” the island of Dominica in 1493, he was not impressed with its design. About 330 square miles — nearly two thirds of the island — covered in rainforest, rugged mountains, volcanoes and hot springs made it seem like an inconvenient place to colonize.

Today, the country is known as “The Nature Island of the Caribbean” and is distinguishable for its flora and fauna, rich soil, agriculture and its surviving population of indigenous people, who are known as the Caribs.

The locals were eager to share their knowledge, take us around their homes and help us experience the Dominican lifestyle. I was surprised when my taxi driver gave us the full tour-guide experience, accompanying us on our hike and telling us all about the island, its history and about his own banana plantation.

The two days at port were too short.

I have never visited such a fascinating location where tropical palm trees are juxtaposed and shadowed by tall mountains lying in rainforest — the ecology made for sights that were prettier than a postcard. Visiting the Carib people at Tuna Village gave me a whole new appreciation for nature’s wonders.

Their lifestyle seemed wonderful, and smiles seemed permanently painted on the locals’ faces. On top of that, our guide told us that not only have 20 Dominicans lived up to 100 years, but the longest-living woman in the world was Dominican, dying at the age of 128 years.

Returning to the ship, I had a new favorite food  (fried plantains and sweet potatoes, a delicacy in Dominica), new local friends both from Roseau and the Carib people at Tuna Village and a new appreciation for the unique, most unbelievably laid out island I have ever visited.

With love, from the middle of the Caribbean.

­— espitzer@indiana.edu