Ice is art in WonderLab show

Wonderlab Ice Sculpting

Despite unseasonably warm January weather, Hermann Serfling used a chainsaw and hand tools to construct art out of a 300-pound block of ice Friday at WonderLab, a science museum geared toward children.

Serfling, a Hoosier Hills Career Center teacher in Bloomington, has pursued ice carving for more than 30 years and considers it to be a serious hobby.

He said getting started is the hardest part.

“Once you start trimming it down, it’s more manageable,” Serfling said. “If it gets off-centered, then you’re in trouble.”

Friday’s carving marked the first program of Wonderlab’s Science of Art series, which has programs that take place the first Friday evening of every month.

This month’s theme was ice sculpting.

“We chose ice for January to go with the theme nature provides for us, and we wanted to help people learn about the science and artistry of ice,” said Andrea Oeding, WonderLab’s assistant gallery operations manager.

The museum hoped to attract people of all ages to see the artists at work, rather than just an exhibit of their art, Oeding said.

WonderLab, located next to the newly completed B-Line Trail, invited cyclists and joggers to pause to look at Serfling’s work.

“What a wonderful opportunity the Wonderlab is for children to experience these things,” Serfling said. “I didn’t have an opportunity growing up, and that’s why I do it.”

Jackson Creek Middle School teacher Michelle Qualley and her family spent their Friday evening at their first Science of Art event at WonderLab.

“They have a little bit of everything,” Qualley said. “Every time, they come out learning something new.”

Within the museum, several activities were available for guests to experiment with.
James Clark, coordinator of freshman laboratories for IU’s Chemistry Department, heard cries of “please” as he handed out bowls of ice cream made with liquid
nitrogen.

Across the room, WonderLab staff had a station where guests could create their own ice sculptures using salt, ice and food coloring. Another popular activity was an ice candle, that let children take home their creation.

“We always try to connect the activities to the artists and always try to have a take-home activity so they do something here and take home something they can remember the night from,” Oeding said.

In February, the theme will move from ice to fire as WonderLab presents Fiery Foundry.

Experts from the Sculpture Trails Outdoor Museum will demonstrate the hotel metal casting process. Visitors will be able to carve scratch block molds into which hot aluminum will be poured.