Hoosiers pile up wins in Orlando matches

The Indiana men’s tennis team has started the new season brightly in the Sunshine State, kicking off competitive singles and doubles play for the spring at the University of Central Florida Spring Invitational in Orlando, Fla., with a number of victories in the first two days of action.

The Hoosiers, who debuted at No. 29 — one spot above last year’s final standing — in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association national team rankings released Tuesday, have gone 21-8 thus far at the event, with wins against opponents representing Louisville, Radford and Alabama.  

On Friday, the Hoosiers compiled a 10-2 record, including a 7-1 mark against No. 71 Radford in singles action.

Only sophomore Dimitrije Tasic dropped his contest, a 6-4, 7-6 decision at the hands of Igor Ogrizek.  

IU also took three of four matches from No. 30-ranked Louisville in doubles play on Friday, two in convincing style.

Seniors Stephen Vogl and Will Kendall teamed up to defeat Van Damrongsri and Sumit-Prakash Gupta 8-3.

Fellow Hoosiers junior Isade Juneau and senior Jeremy Langer combined to beat Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Andrew Carter by a score of 8-2.  

Indiana and Louisville split the other two doubles contests Friday.

Juniors Josh MacTaggart and Alastair Barnes won their match, while Tasic and freshman Jose Montibeller faltered in theirs.  

On Saturday, the Hoosiers returned to the court to square off again against Louisville, as well as test themselves against No. 51 Alabama.

The team ended the day 11-6, having emerged victorious in three of four matches against Alabama and seven of 10 opposite Louisville in singles action.

Juneau, MacTaggart and Tasic all won both of their Saturday matches.  
In doubles action against the Crimson Tide and Cardinals, the Hoosiers went 1-2, shutting out the opponent in one match while coming up just short in the other two.

MacTaggart and Barnes overwhelmed Louisville’s Adam Donaldson and Ross Nigro 8-0.

However, a pair of IU teams, the first comprised of Juneau and Langer and the second of Kendall and Vogl, were defeated by Alabama duos. Juneau and Langer suffered an 8-6 setback, while Kendall and Vogl lost a tightly contested match, 9-7.  

The Hoosiers returned to action in the UCF Spring Invitational on Sunday for their last forays into competitive play before a two-week hiatus, which will end Jan. 22 as the team officially commences its season at home against Western Michigan and Toledo.

A quick turnaround follows. Two days later, the team will test its mettle against No. 7 Kentucky in Lexington, Ky.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.