sports men's soccer

Blevins looks to future in soccer

Blevins

For four years, senior midfielder Nick Blevins wasn’t the featured scorer for the IU men’s soccer team, nor was he the leading assist man or even a player who had many opportunities on the field.

But his coaches and teammates said Blevins, whose IU soccer career has come to an end, will always be remembered as one of the hardest workers and brightest student athletes ever to set foot in Bloomington since he arrived in August 2008.

Junior forward Tim Wylie, who redshirted his freshman year, roomed with Blevins while the two were freshmen just beginning their collegiate soccer careers. Wylie said that even in the first few days, he knew he had a friend he could trust.

“He’s one of the nicest guys you could ever meet,” Wylie said. “I can really see him like a brother, because he’s always asking me how I’m doing and wanting to know more about me. Having a guy who can pick you up when you’re down is a great person to have on your team.”

Blevins recognized his role as a mentor on the team, as well. Even though he never saw as much playing time as he would have liked as a Hoosier, Blevins said he always tried to be there for his teammates when they needed someone to confide in.

“I feel like most everyone felt comfortable talking to me, and it helped when I got older because I was able to mentor the younger guys because I knew they looked up to me,” Blevins said.

But the role of mentor wasn’t the only one Blevins mastered while in Bloomington, Wylie said. Blevins excelled as a student athlete away from his teammates, as well, rounding up several awards for his academic achievement.

During his sophomore and junior years, Blevins was named a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar and was chosen for the Academic All-Big Ten squad.

This evident attention to detail in the classroom transferred to hard work both in practice and on the field, IU Coach Todd Yeagley said.

“Nick came to practice everyday with his best,” Yeagley said. “He worked really hard and was a very talented athlete who really made the team better. He always put the team first, and he made everyone around him better.”

Yet even with the academic accolades off the field, Blevins said he still wishes he could have gotten more time to play. But despite not playing his freshman year and only seeing sparse time throughout the rest of his IU career, Blevins said he never gave up.

“I grew a lot as a person while I was at IU,” Blevins said. “It was a bit depressing to see it all end a few weeks ago, but the last four years have been so rewarding. I got to spend time with 30 other players and coaches who loved soccer, too, and it was just a great environment to be around.”

Even after his four years in Bloomington come to a close, Blevins said he hopes to continue to pursue his love for soccer. Whether through adult leagues or coaching at the youth level, Blevins said he doesn’t care.

“I just don’t want to stop playing,” Blevins said.