Madrigals to perform Rachael’s Cafe

Every person has his or her own way of celebrating the holidays, and some are more traditional than others.

At 8 p.m. Dec. 6, Rachael’s Cafe will have a madrigal, or medieval, dinner party with entertainment, including singing, acting and a court jester.

”The ceremonial music is a set of traditional songs that introduce different parts of the feast,” Musical Director Eric Anderson said. “There’s a different tune for the wassail, the boar’s head and the pudding.”

A traditional medieval meal will be served at the main event, along with the acting and singing. Two audience members will also be selected to sit with the king and queen at the head of the table.

Anderson said the musical selections will be divided into two different types: ceremonial and concert. The concert music will be later in the evening.

“After a couple different plays and some comedic bits, there’s a chunk of the program just for our head table and a cappella vocal sextet to sing a few pieces I’ve selected,”
he said.

The event will serve as the dress rehearsal for Monroe County Civic Theatre’s Madrigal Dinner, which will be Dec. 8 and 15 at KRC Banquets and Catering. The dress rehearsal will begin at 8 p.m., and donations will be taken to benefit the theater.

Assistant Costume Coordinator Becky Underwood said she enjoys singing this type of music, especially at this time of year.

“It reminds me of my childhood,” she said. “Listening to the Robert Shaw Chorale doing old madrigals and Christmas carols. It’s great to be preparing this music with a diverse bunch of students from the high school, University and community.”