Female technology enrollment increases

Technology has made an early and lasting impression on self-confessed nerd Lizzi Pomeroy’s life.

“I started gaming when I was 7 or 8, and I found that I really clicked with the people who spent a lot of time playing video games,” she said.

Now a senior in informatics, Pomorey has decided to make a career out of her love for technology, and she isn’t the only one.

Suzanne Menzel, instructor for introductory-level computer science course C211, said the enrollment for the course has increased.

“This fall, we had 40 women enroll in C211,” Menzel said. “Eighteen months ago, when we committed to doubling the numbers in both computer science and informatics, we had 24 women enrolled.”

Technology degrees have become increasingly appealing to women, said Maureen Biggers, assistant dean for diversity education in the School of Informatics.

“We are helping spread the word that (Information Technology) is important and can be used to solve pressing business and social problems in a variety of fields,” she said. “IT’s absolutely team-oriented. IT’s creative.”

Biggers said IU’s School of Informatics is a member of the Pacesetter’s Group at the National Center of Women in Information Technology. These companies are working to raise the visibility of women in computer science and bring 1.2 million women to the industry by 2020.

Biggers said 75 percent of informatics students have jobs when they graduate, and 90 percent do within nine months.

Menzel said she expects to see this trend continue.

“Dean (Robert) Schnabel is committed to continuing and expanding the student support programs, and we fully anticipate further improvements in this critical area,” she said.