Bloomington woman shot in leg, search for suspect still ongoing

Bloomington police are still searching for a man who shot a 60-year-old Bloomington woman in the leg late Monday.

Officers will continue to heavily patrol the area of the shooting throughout the next few evenings and nights, Bloomington Police Department Lt. Bill Parker said Tuesday.

The victim was walking her dog on West Ninth Street when the shooting occurred at about 8:30 p.m., Parker said. The street dead ends near a wooded area. The victim told police that when she reached the dead end, a man rushed out of the woods.

Without saying anything, the suspect fired several shots toward the woman.

The victim said she heard several popping sounds, which she described as sounding like fire crackers, and she fled to a nearby residence.

She said she did not realize she had been shot until she quit running, which Parker said is a common occurrence in shootings similar to this one. Once at the residence, she called the police, who arrived and quickly began canvasing the neighborhood and searching the woods for the suspect.

At the scene, officers found several casings on the ground, as well as unfired bullets.

“The guy must have done a lot of fumbling with his weapon,” Parker said.

After nearly 20 officers searched the area for three hours, the suspect could not be located, Parker said. The suspect’s motive also remains elusive.

“The victim stated she does not know anyone that would target her in that manner,” Parker said. “The motive is a puzzler.”

When the victim was transported to IU Health Bloomington Hospital Monday, she was in stable condition, but hospital spokeswoman Amanda Roach said she could not comment on the victim’s condition Tuesday.

The suspect is described as a young white male of medium height and weight and wearing a striped shirt.

Anyone with any information about the shooting is asked to call the Bloomington Police Department at 812-339-4477.